 Off-Topic / Debate / 164
Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:07:03 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

A little off-color?  To some, maybe.  Mostly irrelevant?  To me,
certainly.  You people can worship cobblers or carpenters, shoes or
doorframes, for all I care.  And I mean ALL you people, not just
Christians.  I guess when I expire and head upstairs God might let me
know I should have been a little more concerned with making sure
people believe what I know in my heart is right, but I'm pretty sure
he'll forgive me that and all the other failings I have.

I'm not a big fan of the oft-used PC term "tolerance", but with
respect to the arguments outspoken athiests and outspoken Christians
usually get into, I'd say both groups need a lot more of it.

(1) Renounce the overly commercialized nonsense that our society has
attached to Christmas and celebrate it for the real reason - Christ's
birth and our salvation.

Hell, I could post that.  I've said that or something like it at least
2 or 3 times this past week.

Well I thought I was going to sit this one out - it hits a little too close to
home being a PK (1) and all.  But what Mike spelled out above seems to pretty well
capture my thoughts.  I'll add the following rambling...

There is no escaping the fact that we live in a diverse society, consequently we
are faced with a diverse world of beliefs, values, etc.  A closed mind is
something I have strived, often with much difficulty, to overcome.  I think it is
hard for people, especially those who count themselves as some of the sharper
rocks in the pile, to accept other people for who they are, including their
beliefs.  And while I may disagree 100% with Larry's religious beliefs, or lack of
as the case may be, he's got every right to think that way.  Does it bother me?
Yes, of course it does because I disagree.  Is it worth making a big deal about?
Probably not.  Why am I typing here and adding to a thread that really isn't
worthwhile?  I really dont know :-)

What I find curious is the quick action by people to "take sides" here.  Sure,
Larry said something that may or may not have been "appropriate" (2) - something
that to some of us is contradictory to everything we believe in and try to live by
(esp. at this time of year).  But the root cause of this argument (Christianity
vs. atheism) isn't exactly a new problem or topic.  I seriously doubt we're going
to make any ground, change anybody's mind, or otherwise come any closer to
bridging the gap here.  In my experience, if you really want to convert people or
make a difference, atheists are not the easiest target.  Try Hindus or Buddists,
at least they believe in something :-)

(1)  PK stands for Preacher's Kid, as in I'm the son of a Lutheran Pastor.

(2)  I personally didn't care for his comment, but I wasn't put out enough by it
to raise a stink.
--
Michael Ulring
University of Cincinnati - ulringmc@email.uc.edu