 Off-Topic / Debate / 148
Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:46:33 GMT

Also sprach Steve Berry:
: Anyway, I can't speak for other people with SIGS, but I make it a point not to
: voice or interject my personal beliefs in discussions unrelated to those
: beliefs.

I have to disagree with you here, Steve (and stick up for Larry).

I think you are being too rigid in your thinking.  Yes, religious
proclamations in and of themselves would be innapropriate on any of the
themed lugnet groups.  But tangential asides of any nature are generally
tolerated on newsgroups if they at least arise out of on-topic
discussion.  The reason is that in this way *personality* is conveyed on
the group.  Personality is what makes discussion groups what they are,
virtual communities.  If everyone stuck strictly to topic without ever
acting human, these groups would not be worth reading.

In short, Steve, the world is a big ol' place, and not everyone on the
planet agrees with you.  If you want to be part of that world, you have
to accept and tolerate other views.  Especially on the internet, you
cannot rely on the cozy surroundings of like-thinking individuals.  On
the specific issue you objected to, approximately 3 quarters of the
planet disagrees with you.  At present there is no rec.toys.lego.devout.
Until that day comes, if you want to discuss lego with other lego
enthusiasts, you need to be prepared for the fact that lego may be the
only faith we all share.

/ _ _ / _ _     "Experience is that marvelous thing that allows you to
()(-(//((-/                recognize a miskate when you make it again."
                                          - F. P. Jones
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============