 Off-Topic / Debate / 155
Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 20:02:31 GMT

Steve Berry wrote in message ...
Now that Larry has defined the "True meaning of Christmas," I thought I • would.

Christmas, like it or not folks, is a CHRISTIAN holiday.  It exists because
Christ is the savior and this is the day we celebrate his birth.  We don't
celebrate Christmas because of decorated trees, lights or over-weight guys • in
red suits.

Yes, it must have been originated as you mentioned, but today almost whole
world celebrates it and give gifts to their firedns, and make holiday. aand
this occurs regardles from any religion. In brief, it is a part of the
world's common culture now (as you already know), and 3 of every 5 people
living on earth celebrates although they are not christians.

And as far as I remember, this thread started by discussiun about "posting a
message containing a sentence wich means the poster celebrates christmas,
for not being a christian, but he celebrates it since it's fun" is bad or
not. The main subject was not the origin of christmas, not why we celebrate
christmas, and obviously nort who owns christmas.

The first message came from you was stating that Larry made a mistake, since
he attecked/offended your beliefs by simply saying he wasn't celebrating
christmas because of christ, but it's because of fun. Well, would you have
posted the same reply, if I would have posted a message like Larry, I'm not
celebrating cristmas becuse of Christ, since I'm a muslim (1)?. Being a
muslim (or simply not being a christian) and simply stating that, is a
strike to your beliefs?...

So, being the open-minded people atheists apparently are, couldn't you • create
your own, special holiday to just have fun?  Yes, I'm saying the • unthinkable
in the politically correct world we live in -- find your own holiday or be
OPEN-MINDED enough to understand why the holiday exists in the first place!

I can't see any point here. Even I can say this is a childish expression,
caused by anger (IMO). And, yes we (I mean my country) a different name for
it, as most other non christians, we call it "new year holiday". And yes, I
can choose whatever I wantmy as ny own holidays(2)...And yes, this last
sentence is a bit childish, too..:-)

God bless you all and merry Christmas.
Steve Berry

I hope so...:-)

regards, and happy new year to all.

Selçuk

(1) I'm not actually(3) muslim, but I'm supposed to be..:-)
(2) I also celebrate two muslim specific religious holidays, too.
(3) I actually have no religion (4)
(4) No, I'm not feeling bad by saying this, even I'm not feeling any
different from saying "I'm a cristian" or "I'm a gugaklahowakana"..:-)