 Off-Topic / Debate / 208
Re: lugnet.religion.flame
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:48:12 GMT

Also sprach Perhaps a Princess...:
: "a crusader who won't hush until he makes everyone bow to his creator"

: Don't you see a very definite amount of bile in the way you phrased
: this? And why it might get on people's back like fingernails on a
: chalkboard even if their intention is NOT what you say -- especially
: if their intention is not what you say.

Yes, there is a certain amount of bile.  I am not a religious person.  I
do not mine USENET posts looking for any evidence of faith so that I may
blow it up into a flame war.  I both admire and respect quiet, personal
faith, even though I do not exhibit it myself.  My objections, and my
bile, are directed at those who *do* search every post for evidence of
faith or the lack of it.  My experience has been that there are a lot
more believers who behave in this fashion than non-believers.

In this case Larry made an innocent aside that was evocative of his
personality, and which touched on a religious issue.  It was the first
such comment I had seen from him in quite some time, and it arose
legitimately from the topic at hand.  He was immediately accused of
insensitivity and being off topic (siezing on one off-topic line in a
footnote to a lengthy post).  My point is that it's likely that an
equally inconsequential comment supporting faith would not have
attracted similar ire from a random atheist who happened to read it.

Basically it boils down to this:  there are a lot more believers who
care that a person doesn't believe than there are non-believers who care
that a person does.  Hence my frustration.  Does that make sense?

/ _ _ / _ _                               In a Florida maternity ward:
()(-(//((-/                                      "No children allowed."
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============