 Off-Topic / Debate / 350
Re: lugnet.foreign.policy (was: lugnet.religion.flame)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:28:18 GMT

De Bengel wrote:

Saddam should have been assasinated a long time ago, whether by us
directly or some group we put on the job.

Now I don't think that he's a great guy or anything, but who are you
to pass judgement on him. People living in Bagdad will probably say
the same about Clinton.

I happen to know that some people in the US would agree.

and later wrote again:

I won't argue with you about that, for they sum up my feelings pretty
well. My point was that it's not up to us to sentence another
country's leader.

Wrong.

I think it is up to us.  I think this because as a society we have taken
on the burden of opposing tyranny world-wide.  I support this stance,
but believe we need to tread lightly so as not to use it as an excuse
for committing our own wrongs.  Individual members of our society
generally agree that stopping people from committing atrocities is a
good idea.

Two personal examples:

When my next-door neighbor was beating the hell out of his kid with a
belt, I stopped him.  It turned out that I was able to do so
nonviolently, but I was prepared to go to any length that afternoon to
make things as right as I could.

When I was about twelve, some neighbors were abusively negligent to
their dog.  I stole their dog and found it a home.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA