 Off-Topic / Debate / *16531 (-100)
  Re: Hosed?

(...) You can *do* that??? (Gotta be the power of the "!" I guess...) -John (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) hehe Oh, you're talking about the last last resort;-) -John (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) I was thinking of having his name stricken from the Book of Life, or perhaps arranging a blight on his loins, but I wanted to hear what he had so say first. I'll see about posting a followup once I've "discussed" it with the gentleman. Dave! (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) That's not the last resort...or are you assuming that he already offered to sign the guy up for knee surgery? Chris (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) Heck, doesn't a large portion of the Canadian population live south of the 49th (going back to the phrase that started this subthread)? I don't have access to a good map right now (well, I probably do, but don't know where to surf to), but (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of the English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) OMGoodness--Entirely didn't realize about Michigan... Now I'm looking at an Ontario map and holy moly, lookit all that Michigan to the north of Windsor! Wow, Dave gets a lesson in Geography today... So there you are. Dave (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) Wrongo! I'm so disappointed. I thought Canadians had a better grasp of geography than Americans. Parts of southeastern Michigan--including much of Detroit--are indeed due *north* of Ontario. I'm sorry, we'll have to deduct 10 points from your (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Forget it. (...) No, I inferred that *some* Palestinians are terrorists, because some *are*. Can *you* tell the difference between a non-terrorist Palestinian and a terrorist one? It is *their* choice to blurr the distinction-- let them (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

What were the exact tire sizes? A 1998 Ford Contour is listed as having either 185/70-14 or 195/65-14 tires as original equipment. A 1998 Ford Contour SE had 205/60-15 tires as original equipment. John (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

Dave! You are SO hosed, my hundreds of $$$ poorer clone brick friend. Did you get Sears' assertion in writing? I am not a lawyer -- but as for confronting the dealership, the only advice I can give that may help is to assert to them that you will (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) I thought you were going to start arguing that Santa was not real. I am glad you didn't cause Suz would end up with having to deal with a possible flame war. ;-) Jude (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Santa's Postal Code (was: other stuff)

(...) Reality doesn't suck; it just predates Trudeau. :) (URL) postal code has been H0H 0H0 for more than 20 years, and for the last 18 years, postal volunteers help Santa answer his mail; last year over 1 million letters were answered in 26 (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Hosed?

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:GwzCEv.KLL@lugnet.com... (...) One assumes you can find out the correct size of tyre for the vehicle? Surely in the manual? At least then you would know who was lying, Sears or the Ford (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Let’s start with a little more than your say-so. (...) There you go again, inferring all Palestinians are terrorists. The USA is "fixed on terrorism" as it has only just woken up to it. Much of Europe has been suffering from its effects since (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) Yep, I have no idea if Pierre did anything of the sort--was a brief interlude into 'Dave's Little World (DLW)' wherein Santa is Canadian, I get payed playing EQ, we all get along the world over, and I get LEGO for Christmas every year of my (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) Unless "checking that the automobile has the right sized tires" is one of the 100 check items, I think that you are hosed in that respect. But they did sell you a car with improper tires, which obviously are not simply interchangable (the worn (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) I construed the asterisked part of David's post as saying that in fact Trudeau did no such thing. If he did then I guess I mean have the Finns actually done something similar. (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) What do you mean fictitious? Jude (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) With respect I was always told he lived in Lapland so I wonder if the Finnish government has fictitiously done something similar. (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Hosed?

In January of this year I purchased a used '98 Ford Contour from a local dealership. The purchase package included a much-touted 100-point inspection and an assortment of various guarantees and coverages. To date, I've had no mechanical (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) Postal Services worldwide, being overwhelmed by lettters from the kids to Santa Claus, petitioned the Canadian Government for years to change a specific Postal Code(1). One of the last things PET did before he stepped down was to make an (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) You also have to ignore embassies. :-) Jude BTW, Santa lives in Quebec (All postal codes beginning with H are in la belle province). (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) I don't think there is any part of the United States that is due north of any part of Canada, unless you're talking about that little wedge of land known as the pan handle of Alaska--that may be due north of Victoria Island. Alaska is more of (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) And I hasten to add that I grew up *due north* of Canada...in the United States (shouldn't be hard to figure out where). :) LFB (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) "The Prince" by Niccolò Machiavelli (URL) reading of "L’Histoire de Juliette, ou les Prospérités du Vice" by Comte Donatien Alphonse François De Sade wouldn't hurt either. Lacking a URL, I give you this: "The mechanism that directs government (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) without (...) relocated (...) Before I get down the answer proper, is it safe to take your note as an assertion opposite mine -- that sentimental attachment to a particular area highly productive? Now, as you well know, I would not take well (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) I came up with this great idea the other day. We should release quarters with the Canadian provinces the way we're doing with American states. It was a silly conversation, but I was just imagining the uproar (from all sides) if our mint (...) (22 years ago, 30-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Returning stuff to Comp USA

"Suzanne D. Rich" <suz@baseplate.com> wrote in message news:542B6FFC-6DBE-1...ate.com... (...) I also have a conscience pang about doing something like this, but at first I could not figure out why. It does not seem to hurt either store explicitly. (...) (22 years ago, 30-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Americans, North Americans, Americasians (was Liberal Media)

(...) (ka-snip of worthy observations regarding Bush, Enron, the Conservative Media, etc.). (...) United Statesian is so confusing to those of us who live so close to the border of the United States of Mexico. Which United Statesian are they (...) (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) What possible "proof" could I provide that would change your mind? None; a useless exercise which I choose to ignore. (...) I never said it did. I merely said it was an article which may explain our differences. (...) I don't even know if what (...) (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) Okay, call us even. Dave! (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) You did, I work for EDS in Ottawa, Ontario. Jude (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) Come on, Steve. They gave us Michael J. Fox--don't wish American politicians on him. Of course, they did dump Alanis Morisette on us. What if we give them Ross Perot? Dave! (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) Heh. So your pols are all American, then? (Ottawa -> 45.42N,75.7W) Steve (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message news:GwsvMD.Iu5@lugnet.com... (...) Apparently there were three separate sources with the US Government and secret services about terrorist activities pertaining to events leading up to (...) (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) No, just expressing my view. (...) However, the article is interesting. It compares the US and European Press without saying who is right or wrong. Its main conclusion is that the European Press is more pro-Palestinian than what you have in (...) (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) Yes, possibly, though I don't believe so in this case. (...) Welcome to the real world. (...) (URL) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Are you trying to *bait* me? Here's another article which may explain our differences: (URL) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) I seriously doubt that anyone in authority knew 9/11 "specifically" was about to happen. I think it is pretty clear that something like 911 could have been predicted{1}, and that perhaps air security should have been tightened a touch (and/or (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) Well, obviously the first *televised* moon landing was filmed on a sound stage (in Death Valley, as it turns out, rather than Hollywood). The underlying conspiracy is that the real first lunar landing took place in 1963 as part of a joint (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) Lemme ask a question here. How well do you think our democracy works in a situation like this? What could Bush have done to stop it? What *have* they done to stop it? Reinforced airplane doors? Heightened security? How much pressure do you (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) Can any thinking person actually, logically, believe that any sitting president would look the other way while their country was attacked just for economic gain? This goes beyond politics to basic human morality. I refuse that any person in a (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) some kind of Bush apologist, from this and other occasions people have called attention to her work. But here is the thing -- I really don't give a damn about Bin Laden or Afghanistan if our president, the intelligence community, the national (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) (here it comes...) Yeah, well, I'm not American and I couldn't give a rat's patootie what some gun lovin' hick from Texas thinks of me. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, unless *proven* that he knew specifically that 9/11 was going o (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Indeed, Scotland has "refugees" in much of commonwealth (e.g. Canada and NZ). But that's all in the past; we are one big happy nation now. I'm even looking forward to viewing England's progress in the World Cup. I have enjoyed their last two (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) <blink blink> Really? The Scots and the English have been assuming ownership of each others abandoned property for centuries, I thought. They've even occaisionally arranged for a little spontanious abandonment. James (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) You don't have proof then! Scott A (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) Be careful Richard. The USA is at W A R. As such, your comments are unpatriotic. The thought police will be knocking on your door any moment now. Scott A (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) If a family has lived on the same plot of land for generations, why should they be removed (relocated) without compensation to provide a home for an economic migrant from the former USSR who has chosen relocation to improve his own personal (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) You're wrong. Read around the subject a little more. As the Israeli forces advanced they destroyed whole villages in their path. Israel was able to clear 80% of Palestinians from the area (~700,000 individuals). (...) Well, I think they wanted (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) I'm definitely on the same page with that--take the land away from both parties. Like a parent taking a toy away from two fighting kids until they both act more mature. As for the pregnant men--ouch!--Arnold in 'Junior' Dave (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) only relocation by their own choice - AFAIK, Israel never forced anyone to leave their houses in '48 (or '67), the people who left did so from their own free will. Fearing Israel will do to them what the Arab countries would have done to the (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) This is the part that messes me up, though; aren't there quite a few people now living in that region who were personally subject to relocation? If so, then they would seem to have a legitimate grievance. (...) Well, sure--I agree that (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Well I like(1) the solution offered in _The Fresco_ (by Sheri S. Tepper, an SF author who really has grown on me lately, she's worth some careful reading) In that novel the aliens, after observing the situation, ejected everyone from old (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) One difference is that you haven't been warring with the same faction for the last 2000+ years. If, out of the blue, someone were to come knocking at your door and relocate your family, an injustice has just occured against you. If, on the (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: Dave! (...) Its definitly okay to call youself American. I have as yet to meet a person in Canada who thinks differently. On our news, in our papers, we call you guys south of the 49th 'Americans'. (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) So I take it that if the ATF dropped by your place this afternoon and relocated your family to, I don't know, a desert in New Mexico, you'd just buck up and make the best of it? If not, then please explain the difference for me. Dave! (22 years ago, 26-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)

(...) I'm American(1), and I don't like him either, but I'll likewise give him the benefit. However, a number of right-wing demagogues in the media *still* gripe about Clinton as if he's *still* busily destroying the entirety of the universe, but (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bush Knew?

(...) (URL) points out that knowing that *some* terrorist attack *may* happen *somewhere* and knowing that a bunch of insane moronic idiotic lower-than-life infidels hijacking planes with knives and such at 8 a.m. on Tuesday September 11, 2001 , are (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Bush Knew?

Wow -- if that turns out to be true in the long-term I think I am feeling fairly outraged. Bush has done nothing but use the whole crisis to boost his popularity, and now it may be that he knew in advance. Shades of what Roosevelt knew about Pearl (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur writes: [snip] (...) [snip] (...) Well, at least with no journalists there, it's a chance the reports could possibly be accurate & unbiased. ROSCO (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) What a fool I am to have waste my breath engaging in any conversation with you. It won't happen again. BBye. (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Well.... I agreed with everything you said in the parts that I snipped away, but I guess maybe I should have dug up a Clinton era example alternate history. (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Gws7tC.8xt@lugnet.com... (...) security. (...) suck up (...) The 'security' move that puzzles me is not providing metal knives and forks with your inflight meal, but only plastic (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) For the record, I knew your position on this. Sorry if it seemed otherwise. I think we are very much on the same page on this, politically. Thought experiment-wise, and the pleasures hidden therein, we may be of different minds. Then again, (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Gun control (was: Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press)

(...) My guess would be that the possession of weapons by Palestinians in the occupied territories, is regulated by the Oslo accord. This agreement regulates a number of issues in the area, for example Israeli settlement construction and the mandate (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

I think Richard and Chris answered most of your other points. (...) Well why did they not let the UN in? (...) Indeed it does. (...) Do you have proof of that, or is this your old view: Palestinians = terrorists. (...) It should be the press's aim (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Well, we're not. I speak from experience when it comes to airport security. Talk about your window dressing? More hassle, more inconvenience, more delay, but no more actual security. Just a big shiny new agency to suck up tax dollars and (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Only if you say so, Lar. "The scurrilous loss of freedom in the name of security, and other changes, and blindly support(ing) the Prez" would almost be worth it IF we were getting real value for those changes. That's a HUGE if, and it just (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) I'd prefer that Israel just issue the caveat that when they feel the need to shoot in a particular direction, they aren't going to hold their fire merely because members of the press are in the way. Then, the press members can make their own (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) John, You really are a worry. I wish I could just dismiss all the news I dislike as being part of some sort of conspiracy. Life would be so much easier! The facts were: 1. Heavy gunfire coming form Jenin 2. Israel, a nation with an appalling (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Well the West Bank is the world's worst place to be a journalist: (URL) A (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Speaking of damned if they did, damned if they didn't... (and otherwise only VERY LIGHTLY linked to this thread if at all) (URL) so happens that I do not quite support the theory that KP is advancing (that we need to line up docilely for the (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) bias (...) Hmmph. Media, schmedia. A quote from the news this morning: "Israel has had to endure 5 suicide bombings in the last week, 2 of which resulted in deaths." It has been my understanding that *all* suicide bombings result in at least 1 (...) (22 years ago, 26-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) I thought they called themselves "the right" because, for all their faults, they retain a healthy sense of irony. 8^) Dave! (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) is (...) I hope that the majority of scientists are out trying to prove the null hypothesis! The whole goal of the scientist is to devise every possible way of disproving their idea and carrying out those tests. Only when they are unable...and (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Correct:-) You know Chris, they don't call the right "right" for nothing;-) (...) Which leads to the question, why do "studies" at all? Seems to me that their purpose is to influence popular opinion by their results and advance agendas, (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) Just like the center appears to be the left when viewed from the right. Right? Non serious studies are those that set out to support a point as part of a funded agenda rather than to seek the truth. I would suggest tobacco health studies done (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) I agree. What irks me is the unwillingness of the media to acknowledge their own leftist leanings in their reporting, and their willingness to go way beyond the scope of their job description. (...) Possibly. But again, the arrogance, the (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poor Target....

I love you guys. Well, it's been real...back to work. But first I gotta go return my Gunship at KayBee! Just kidding =) I feel good today, hope everyone else does, too. -Matt . (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) This is more of an unobtainable goal than an actual job description. Balanced reporting is a moving target and the best a reader can hope for is to understand the bias of the author of any given text -- then the reader is well positioned to (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) "Serious"??? As opposed to what other kind?:-) Well anyway, from the left, the center does appear to be the right;-) The reason the rumours of a "massacre" lived so (...) No, the rumors persisted because the media was so jaded by their bias (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) As I have said before, serious academic studies have shown that the Western Media has a pro-Israel bias. The reason the rumours of a "massacre" lived so long was because the Israel did not allow the press into the area (indeed they would (...) (22 years ago, 24-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poor Target....

(...) I'd like to brag about a scam I pulled of in my college years, could we have a no-flame support group for this sort of thing on LUGNET or is everyone here more morally complete than me? TRU probably hated me, but KB and my LEGO pile loved me (...) (22 years ago, 24-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Poor Target....

(...) Pesonally, I don't appreciate the braggadocio aspect of the original post. However, heres a counter example (hypothetical of course)... Suppose someone takes the Target ad into a WalMart and asks "see this ad, will you match Target's price ?" (...) (22 years ago, 24-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poor Target....

(...) But it could be illegal just publishing the novel. Just look at the DVD CCA / MPAA case against DeCSS. ROSCO (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poor Target....

(...) Congratulations to everyone concerned in regards to their congnitive deducing skills. I had to read half the thread before I had fully figured out what Matt had done and some had already flamed him in the first few posts!! Not much to add here (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poor Target....

(...) I agree with you--if I'm writing a novel, I can "conceive" of any number of ways to commit fraud or theft or murder, but in itself that's no wrongdoing. Though I suppose that, if I commit any of those acts, my pre-planning might incriminate (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poor Target....

(...) Actually, I misspoke, but I'm not sure that's entirely your grievance with my post anyway. Rephrase above to "My guess is they're *also* mad at him..." Not to imply that people aren't mad for other reasons, which I think they are. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

(...) thank you for posting these links. sheree (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poor Target....

(...) Not necessarily true at all, and it would be somewhat narrow and narcissistic of a person to decry only that which he could not bring himself to get away with. The reason I abhor murder has nothing to do with the likelihood that I'd get caught (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Poor Target....

I think it has more to do with the fact that he came here and bragged about it then it has to do with it actually being wrong. If you are going to do something shifty, the least you could do is keep it to yourself. Bragging about it is just asking (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Poor Target....

(...) Agree 100% :) My guess is they're mad at him for "getting away with it". Something like: "I couldn't bring myself to do that as it's against my moral sense, and I, as a result, think that nobody should be ABLE to get away with it. So I'm mad (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.theory)

  The skinny on Jenin, the European Press

These devastating articles reveal a lot about I have been saying about the bias of the press WRT to Israel and the Palestinians. (URL) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poor Target....

<snip entire debate of fraud on target, Wal-Mart of Jango Fett Slave I> All these wonderful posts on Matt commiting fraud... =) After reading all these post for and against his actions it makes me wonder if those who are mad at him are INDEED mad at (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.theory)

  One thing of note...

I dunno if it's just me noticing something that really isn't there but... Holy Super IQ Batman, these people are intelligent! Having never graduated from any post secondary institution, I at least always prided myself on being at least a little (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: First entry in "predict the responses!"

(...) What if the wrong, which started so many years ago, which is also continuing because it is being perpetuated by *both* sides, continues? Who's at fault *today*? They *both* are. Let me try a different analogy and see if you like it better. (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: First entry in "predict the responses!"

<snip> (...) I can't agree HK is all that good a comparator. The cold war also had a huge impact in the ME… this was less true of HK. (...) What if the wrong, which happened so many years ago, is continuing? (...) You are using the actions of a (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: First entry in "predict the responses!"

(...) Bingo! FUT: .off-topic.useless-pastimes ROSCO (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: First entry in "predict the responses!"

(...) I agree that both Iraq and Iran have been very influenced by the West and could evolve into productive states on this planet, but of course that very westernization is what is driving the Islamic fundamentalists in those countries in the first (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact