 Off-Topic / Debate / 16507
Re: Bush Knew?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 00:52:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
This goes beyond politics to basic human morality. I refuse that any person in
a position of responsibility would sit back and allow a tragedy of this
magnitude to happen.

"The Prince" by Niccolò Machiavelli
http://www.blackmask.com/olbooks/theprincedex.htm

A reading of "L’Histoire de Juliette, ou les Prospérités du Vice" by Comte
Donatien Alphonse François De Sade wouldn't hurt either. Lacking a URL, I
give you this:

"The mechanism that directs government cannot be virtuous, because it is
impossible to thwart every crime, to protect oneself from every criminal
without being criminal too; that which directs corrupt mankind must be
corrupt itself; and it will never be by means of virtue, virtue being inert
and passive, that you will maintain control over vice, which is ever active:
the governor must be more energetic than the governed."

I suppose this is the operating political theory behind things like "The
Shield" where the protagonist is moved to do good by utilizing every vice at
his disposal.

-- Hop-Frog