 Off-Topic / Debate / 16491
Re: Bush Knew?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 18:14:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
Can any thinking person actually, logically, believe that any sitting
president would look the other way while their country was attacked just for
economic gain? This goes beyond politics to basic human morality. I refuse
that any person in a position of responsibility would sit back and allow a
tragedy of this magnitude to happen.

Lemme ask a question here. How well do you think our democracy works in a
situation like this? What could Bush have done to stop it? What *have* they
done to stop it? Reinforced airplane doors? Heightened security? How much
pressure do you think it took to get things to the point they're at now?

My guess is, without 9/11, Bush could have put crazy pressure on the
airlines, but they'd probably kick and scream every step of the way with
legal appeals and the like. Passengers would hate it, airlines would hate
it, government would hate it. But when something like 9/11 actually
*HAPPENS*, it makes everyone really aware of the danger, and they don't
fight the changes to the system tooth and nail. Instead of fighting Bush,
they either try and *help* or just accept what happens.

I mean, I guess you could argue that instead of doing that Bush could've
somehow tracked the specific perpetrators and stopped them? I dunno though.

(Incidently I actually do kinda believe that the first moon landing was
filmed in a sound studio in Hollywood)

I found that Fox special pretty funny. IIRC I was able (without intensive
knowledge of anything spectacular in the ways of physics, etc) to dismiss
all but 3 of the "problems" they listed with the moon landing. I think the
ones that I couldn't get on my own were the radiation belts, the film
apiture camera settings (the "why are there no stars in the pictures?" one),
and the mis-labeled footage one ("how come its the same mountain 2 days
later?" or whatever). There was some website someone posted on Lugnet that
went through the Fox special as well as various websites and articles online
about the moon landing and explained the science behind each phenomenon, as
well as listing other sources saying it was a fraud (though IMHO the other
fraud sites & articles were even worse than the Fox special).

DaveE