 Off-Topic / Fun / 9460
Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:59:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Pedro Silva writes:
United Statesian is so confusing to those of us who live so close to the
border of the United States of Mexico.  Which United Statesian are they
refering to?  I suppose one could call us United Statesian and them Estados
Unidasian, but that seems a worse fracture of the language than "Statesian"
is.

(Note: there are other nations with "United States" on their name: Brazil is
oficcially "Federative Republic of the United States of Brazil". Obviously,
they call themselves brazilians)

  USians is the one I usually hear. (YooEssian)

Besides, Mexicans (see how that gets rounded off?  Note how it works
the same for the USA) aren't Americans.  Pause while the shrieking dies down...

They are North Americans, continentally speaking; Central Americans,
situationally speaking; or Americasians, globally speaking if you wish to
speak of the "New World" i.e. the linked continents of North and South
America: i.e. the Americas (plural, thus Americasian).  Yes, Canadians are
Americasians, or North Americans, not Americans.

I dispute the term - isn't there a single America (i.e., plural of America
being the same word as the singular)?

  No; America is "place of Amerigo;" if you have two continents, they
  become "the places of Amerigo," or "Americas."  I guess maybe by the
  rules of Latin it might be "Americae" but I think common usage trumps
  Latin rules for those who don't speak Latin.  At least, that's the logic.

I stand corrected (I checked since for Portuguese too, in which case both
terms can be used; traditionally, we did not refer to a separation between
the two continents - now we apparently do)

Well, I know. But come to think of it, you are not alone. Other nations have
the misfortune of not having a proper noun to designate its inhabitants:
take Central African Republic, for instance; what do you call a national of
*that* state? Central-African-Republican?

  Technically, Central African (I think someone else said it).  Remember
  that they used to be the Central African Empire.

That was before I was born! (J.B. Bokassa was overthrown in '79, I was born
in '81 :-)

  However, most of them
  would probably refer to themselves as Banda or Gbaya in English, unless
  they're from the major cities.  (The national identifier is most common
  in urban settings, because in the countryside of the old tropical
  dependencies the indigenous social system was not destroyed by the
  colonial regime.)  I think they'd go by the name Babanda or Bagbaya as
  West Bantu-speakers, but I don't know if the transliteration is
  different for Francophone Central Africa.  Once the French become
  involved, nothing is clear anymore.

Hey! I happen to like France! (If you think it takes a french to complicate
things...)

  (By the way:  Never call someone from Lesbos a Lesbian.  They're always
  Lesbotians, and you might get punched in the face for your error.)

Noted! :-P

Pedro