 Off-Topic / Debate / 16503
Re: Americans, North Americans, Americasians (was Liberal Media)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 23:07:14 GMT

I don't like Bush (I don't have to--I'm not American).  That said, I'll give
him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, though

I'm American(1), and I don't like him either, but I'll likewise give him
the benefit.

(ka-snip of worthy observations regarding Bush, Enron, the Conservative
Media, etc.).

  Dave!

(1)  I know, I know--everyone likes to say "You're not American; you're
*United Statesian*"  Nuts to that--through college and business and travel
I've had occasion to know several dozen non-US citizens, *all* of whom
without exception referred to citizens of the United States as "Americans."
That's not a huge sampling, I grant you, but it's enough to convince me that
it's okay to call myself American.

United Statesian is so confusing to those of us who live so close to the
border of the United States of Mexico.  Which United Statesian are they
refering to?  I suppose one could call us United Statesian and them Estados
Unidasian, but that seems a worse fracture of the language than "Statesian"
is.  Besides, Mexicans (see how that gets rounded off?  Note how it works
the same for the USA) aren't Americans.  Pause while the shrieking dies down....

They are North Americans, continentally speaking; Central Americans,
situationally speaking; or Americasians, globally speaking if you wish to
speak of the "New World" i.e. the linked continents of North and South
America: i.e. the Americas (plural, thus Americasian).  Yes, Canadians are
Americasians, or North Americans, not Americans.

Bruce
None of the above, I'm 'Merican  ;-)

Jusssssssssst teasing!