 Off-Topic / Debate / 16504
Re: Returning stuff to Comp USA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 19:51:12 GMT

"Suzanne D. Rich" <suz@baseplate.com> wrote in message
news:542B6FFC-6DBE-11D6-B84D-000A27E40114@baseplate.com...

[throat clearing] ..first, I must say, I would NOT store-swap goods for
self-benefit as described recently.. I personally couldn't bring
merchandise up to the counter while knowing my Dad was glaring at me
from the grave. Legal as it may be, I think he'd say it just 'wasn't the
right thing to do.'

I also have a conscience pang about doing something like this, but at first
I could not figure out why.  It does not seem to hurt either store
explicitly.  As mentioned many times previously, these stores have their
policies for whatever reasons, and the store providing the refund is most
likely to make all their money back plus some.

So it made me wonder, if the person in this senario is seemingly getting $50
handed them, where is it coming from?  The original store is still getting
all the money it expects from the sets at the sale price, and the second
store is probably still going to resell these sets at the full price that
was refunded.  If we assume this is how it will happen, where is the $50
coming from?

I believe that the money is coming from our fellow AFOL's.  After the sale
of the set is over (from the first store), and it is only available at full
price, one of our friends is inevitable going to want to go buy the set.
But instead of being able to buy one at sale price (which might have been
possible, if they weren't purchased for the purpose of being returned to
another store), our friend is going to have to shuck out an additional $25.
Get two friends to give up this $25 dollars, and you've got the mysterious
$50.

I don't think that we are hurting any retail store or big corporation, we
are hurting our fellow Lego enthusiasts.

-David