 Off-Topic / Debate / 16420
16419  |  16421
Subject:
Returning stuff to Comp USA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 19:58:47 GMT

Hi folks!  uh, I'm kinda new here.. (in fact, I think this is my first
non-follow-up post to o.t.d)

I'm not at all interested in debating anything with anyone. BUT, as far
as I noticed, no one mentioned something that, I think, puts a little
different light on 'returning stuff'

[throat clearing] ..first, I must say, I would NOT store-swap goods for
self-benefit as described recently.. I personally couldn't bring
merchandise up to the counter while knowing my Dad was glaring at me
from the grave. Legal as it may be, I think he'd say it just 'wasn't the
right thing to do.'

but anyway, the topic reminded me of software returns. 5-10 years ago
there were many pieces of unopened software I had to return for one
reason or another. Sometimes they were gifts I couldn't use, or already
had, or whatever. Often, I didn't know where they came from.

Well, I grew accustomed to bringing these to the CompUSA in Cambridge
MA. Why? because they didn't care where it came from! I never studied
their policy's fine print, but read the rules on the wall and talked to
the guys behind the counter. Basically, they'd give you store credit
without a receipt, even while knowing that you didn't know where it came
from. Some items (like printers?) supposedly cost you a 'restocking fee.'

Meanwhile, on the other side of Cambridge, was Microcenter. They charged
more for their software, but had carpeting on the floor. To return
something there was a nightmare - even if you DID buy it there. They
wanted receipt, blood-type, surveillance camera footage, lie detector
test.. well, you get the idea.

Reading here last night, one of my reactions was to worry that if people
keep abusing the 'no receipt needed' policy, then it'll go away and
we'll all suffer. But after thinking for a minute.. it came to me that
whenever I have a CompUSA credit slip, or a Wal-Mart card in hand, I end
up going through the check-out spending lots more than just the credit.
I'd inevitably find something extra I needed or maybe 'upgrade' the
software I returned for a Deluxe version, paying the difference.

Anyhow, my point is, it's quite possible that the 'no receipt' policy
isn't just a nicety for customer convenience, but is a marketing
strategy for getting spenders in the store - hoping they'll spend some
extra $, or never use their credit slip, or grow accustomed to arriving
at their door rather than someone else's.

just a thought.

-Suz