 Off-Topic / Debate / 16476
16475  |  16477
Subject:
Hijacking of hte English Language was: Re: Liberal Media (was Bush Knew?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 14:06:57 GMT

   Dave!

(1)  I know, I know--everyone likes to say "You're not American; you're
*United Statesian*"  Nuts to that--through college and business and travel
I've had occasion to know several dozen non-US citizens, *all* of whom
without exception referred to citizens of the United States as "Americans."
That's not a huge sampling, I grant you, but it's enough to convince me that
it's okay to call myself American.

Its definitly okay to call youself American.  I have as yet to meet a person
in Canada who thinks differently.  On our news, in our papers, we call you
guys south of the 49th 'Americans'. Oh, don't doubt that we call you other
things as well... ;)

I have never had an issue calling those residents of the U.S. 'Americans'
and we share North America.  I am Canadian.  Those to the south (beyond the
Americans) are Mexicans.  I don't feel offended or sleighted at all.

People really have to stop getting their knickers in a knot over their
self-imposed sleights.  When Americans speak, I know that they don't speak
for the entire continent--they speak for Americans.

When I was in early grade school (like grade 1 and 2) the term 'gay' had a
completely different definition than it does today.  If I were to read
literature or catch a film made before the '70's, and the term 'gay' was in
it, I take it for what it meant to them, not what it means to us here, today.

A fag is a cigarette in Britain.

And say 'shag' anywhere in that country, you might get your face slapped.

Whatever happened to that grade school mentality that 'sticks and stones may
break my bones but words will never hurt me'?

To everyone:  Stop with the political correctness.  It's just taking away
from the real injustices of the world.

I love my American neighbours, even if they don't put the U in neighbour.

Dave (no, the other one)