 Off-Topic / Debate / 16447
Re: Poor Target....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 00:10:26 GMT

I'm not actually all that uptight about it, but I'm intrigued by the thought
experiment...

    Dave!

Pesonally, I don't appreciate the braggadocio aspect of the original post.
However, heres a counter example (hypothetical of course)...

Suppose someone takes the Target ad into a WalMart and asks "see this ad, will
you match Target's price ?" Because it is a printed national ad, WM will most
likely match it. The individual buys two of said item, then drives across town
to a different WM. There he says "I want to return these, but I can't find my
receipt". WalMart scans the items and probably gets a price readout of $48.88
each. He takes the store credit, goes back to toys, picks up the aformentioned
$90 set then pays with the store credit (most likely with a little credit
remaining).

Is this any more or less terrible than transporting the merchandse from Target
to WalMart ? What it reveals is a gaping hole between two WM policies (price
matching and giving store credit without a receipt). Yes, someone is taking
advantage of the fault (or courtesy) in the system, but does this represent a
crime ?

Ray