 Off-Topic / Debate / 16432
Re: First entry in "predict the responses!"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 04:26:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  John--which Arab governments are based on religion?  In fact the
  most secular government in the region is Saddam Hussein's Iraq--
  which is why he was our proxy against the Islamic theocratic
  Republic of Iran.  Now, that *is* a religious state--but it became
  one because of the Pahlevis' excesses and Western influence, and
  now that Khomeini is dead it's been slowly but surely liberalizing
  and recovering.  If we don't bomb the living hell out of it, I
  think the Iranians will end up being A-OK, having seen the down-
  sides of shari'a (Quranic law code) and negotiated their own
  solutions.

I agree that both Iraq and Iran have been very influenced by the West and could
evolve into productive states on this planet, but of course that very
westernization is what is driving the Islamic fundamentalists in those
countries in the first place (and using the US and Israel as their scapegoats).

  Islamic theocracies are actually on a grey scale, from the most
  extreme (remaining) in northern Nigeria, Iran, and Saudi Arabia,
  to the totally secular Iraq and Egypt (the latter of which has
  been fighting skirmishes against the illegal Ikhwan for many,
  many decades).

Islam as a religion (and culture) has yet to enter its own Age of
Enlightenment-- in fact, the fundamentalist extremists consciously want to
*avoid* such an evolution, which they equate with western culture and all of
its evils-- neverminding the fact that they are merely trading one evil for
another (assuming that Western Culture is evil).

  Islamic culture had its Age of Enlightenment, while Europe was
  busy dying of plagues and trying to relearn how to write.  Islamic
  religion and the culture derailed around 1700,

Yes, which leaves it about 300 years behind the times.  It is struggling to
come to terms with the modern world, and for many, the answer is to go back.

when the power
  relationship between the Islamic and Christian worlds inverted
  and they lost their central position in commerce and scholarship.
  I blame the Ottoman Empire for much of it; if anyone cares, I'll
  tell them why, but I"ll leave it at that for now.

  (If you look at modern Islamic thought, look at European religious
  thought of the Crusades and the Inquisition period--it's remarkably
  similar, and it's remarkably desperate at times.  It's born of a
  feeling of powerlessness.  Children's Crusade, anyone?  Now THAT'S
  desperate!)

Interesting analogy.  The Crusades and Inquisition were, in my mind, just
wrong, as are the Islamic fundamentalists of today.  The difference is the
magnitude of the potential destruction Islamic extremists can inflict.

When saddled with Islam as a form of government, I would say that the Arabs are
indeed incapable of rationality.

  I'm 100% in agreement.  The problem is that they haven't been
  able to negotiate the relationship between Islam and the state
  fairly, in part because the West continues to be an onerous
  presence (and it shall remain so, because Israel isn't going
  anywhere, and globalization isn't likely to stop).  Most Muslims
  throw their support behind shari'a law and Islamic theocracy
  because they see it as a radical way of eliminating this influence
  that has defied all efforts at incorporation.

Yes.  Despite their most vehement attempts, they cannot and will not stop
progress (unless, of course, they somehow draw the world into some nuclear war)

  (It's a phenomenon called millenarianism; my advisor has written
  one of the major books on the subject.  If you want to look at it,
  it's M. Adas, _Prophets of Rebellion._)

I suggest that you read the entire article (if you haven't already-- I'd *hope*
you'd have read it all before concluding that he is ignorant), because he makes
a lot of good points.  The most convincing to me is that there are a whole lot
more problems  in greater magnitude in this world; so why is the world so
riveted to the fate of a few Palestinians (by comparison)?  The scrutiny
doesn't merit the situation, and leads one to look elsewhere for explanations
for it (read: anti-semitism).

  It's only a tiny problem if you forget the centrality of the
  region as a sacred one to all three of the major monotheistic
  religions.

To be fair, Mecca and Medina are the 2 most holy cities for Islam; Jerusalem
ranks a distant third.

You could argue the same point for giving up on
  Israel, for ending aid and attempts at engagement in the region
  as a whole, et cetera.  But that's not the solution either.

We support Israel because they are a strategic ally in that region, not because
we sympathize with their cause (although we do).  If other Arab countries
became free democratic societies, we would support them as well.  I don't see
anything unfair in that.

  I think the situation does merit the scrutiny--it's the inequity
  from which stems Islamic perceptions of US unfairness.  It would
  be like the Taliban screaming "Why are you fixated on the destruction
  of two towers?  That's only 3,000 people, it does not warrant
  the scrutiny the world gives it!"  The symbol is more important
  than the raw numbers or any scientific reduction--because we all
  have irrational angles and ideals of *some* kind, and this one
  is particularly resonant with over 40% of the world's population.

Well, now that we are being told that the possibility of a nuclear terror
attack is inevitable, we need to start asking ourselves, "Do we take action
here and now against known terrorists *before* they can unleash weapons of mass
destruction?"

You are correct-- we may well look back and realize how naive we were in
thinking that the WTC attack was monumental when we could very well see an
attack that kills 100,000s and even millions with one strike.

In this modern day and age, do we want to leave our fates in the hands of
crazed fanatics?  Too much is potentially at stake here.

-John