 Off-Topic / Debate / 16426
16425  |  16427
Subject:
The Eternal Nuke Debate? (was: Re: First entry in "predict the responses!")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 22:20:23 GMT

And if they did, for the love of God, tell me to what end?  Anyone who would
do such a thing *is* irrational!

You mean like dropping bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima?

No, there was a rational reason for dropping those-- to end the war, and
prevent  even *more* widespread killing.  And it worked.

   This is the accepted wisdom, and no doubt that was a big part of the
   justification.  But I don't think it was the only reason.

That is not to say that that call was a no-brainer.  It was an agonizing
decision to make, and truthfully, the morality of it will always be debated.
But not its rationality.

   An interesting sidebar:  Another point that's often been brought up
   is the less morally but far more psychologically defensible one (well,
   actually, two):  The Japanese paid with their suffering to save *all*
   of us for the last 57 years.  One, it showed the Soviet Union that we
   had a weapon they didn't; and two, it showed them and the world what
   nuclear weapons were capable of *against an actual target*.  Without
   that, all the tests in the world wouldn't acquaint us with the horror
   until people started dropping them in active warfare.  By dropping
   the bombs to end the war, the rising tension between allies that was
   not yet war could be headed off while the continuing terror of the
   bombs' aftereffects were seen, studied, and dwarfed by new generations
   of weapons.  (Hiroshima was a 20kT bomb, if memory serves--we have
   weapons in the 3000-5000kT range.)

   I mean, when thinking about nuclear holocaust, who thinks about Bikini
   Atoll?  I don't.  I think about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  And it was
   that memory that really gave MAD the visceral sense--the teeth--that
   made it a functioning Balance of Terror.  Once you know that something
   really kills and how, you're likely to treat it with a lot more respect.
   In a sense, I feel like dropping those bombs--and the suffering of the
   Japanese who endured them--have brought us all through the Cold War
   without anyone lobbing nukes around.

   Just a psychological sidebar.  Yes, I think dropping the bombs was
   justified, only for a slightly different mix of reasons--some of
   which may not have been apparent to Truman and the CGS in July
   and August of 1945.

   best

   LFB