 Off-Topic / Debate / 16466
16465  |  16467
Subject:
Gun control (was: Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 21:06:19 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> writes:

Breaking international law?  Do you really think that the Palestinian's
possession of weapons and explosives are *legal* under international law?

I'm not sure.  I actually don't know anything about international
law.  Does it pertain to individuals or only nations?  Since there
is no Palestinian nation, I'm not sure that it applies equally to
their behavior.  but I'm just speculating.  I kind of think that
international law is a mis-notion anyway.

My guess would be that the possession of weapons by Palestinians in
the occupied territories, is regulated by the Oslo accord.  This
agreement regulates a number of issues in the area, for example
Israeli settlement construction and the mandate of the PA police force
and their weapons.

I know that my own possession of those goods here in the US is legal.

I Norway, such a possession would be illegal, except for people with a
proper license.  To obtain a license to possess certain types of guns,
you would typically need to be a registred hunter or member of a
shooting club.

Fredrik
--
http://folk.uio.no/fredrigl/technic/