 Off-Topic / Debate / 16481
Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 15:25:49 GMT

If, out of the blue, someone were to come knocking at your door and relocate
your family, an injustice has just occured against you.

If, on the other hand, you've been fighting over and ove and over again, for
multi-generational injustices on both sides, and there is really nothing
left to do that would *end* *the* *killing!!!!* besides relocating (or
dropping a nuclear weapon in the center of town, thus eliminating *both*
parties, and therefore the conflict altogether) then for the love of all
things rational, take the relocation.

Well I like(1) the solution offered in _The Fresco_ (by Sheri S. Tepper, an
SF author who really has grown on me lately, she's worth some careful reading)

In that novel the aliens, after observing the situation, ejected everyone
from old Jerusalem, put up a force field preventing reentry (if you walked
through it you ended up in the desert 10 miles away, somewhat befuddled) and
said "work out your problems or we will expand the range of the field to
encompass more territory, we can cover the whole mideast if we have to".

Of course right after that they introduced nanobots that made all women who
were forced to wear chadors appear exceedingly ugly to their husbands (and
anyone else who thought they ought to wear a chador or get their hand
chopped off for showing an ankle or wanting to vote) and ravishingly
beautiful to everyone else, and then their mentors "impregnated"(2) a bunch
of men who were "pro life, even in case of rape" but I digress.

1 - When I say "like the solution" I mean academically... there probably are
no aliens to come down and do that (and Santa Claus stopped coming by my
house some years back too) and if they did actually come down and do that,
it would be a violation of the Prime Directive so we'd all be upset about it.

2 - actually, implanted a parasitical embryonic organism ala "aliens" except
that the developed organism at maturity eats its way out VERY carefully
through non critical tissue, secreting anti infection and clotting agents as
it goes, so that the host almost always lives with no ill effects. Except
severe pain during the process. But the aliens were OK with that since the
men were all politicians who consistenty ran on Right To Life platforms.

++Lar (who enjoys an author with an ax to grind as long as its a good ax)

I'm definitely on the same page with that--take the land away from both
parties.  Like a parent taking a toy away from two fighting kids until they
both act more mature.

As for the pregnant men--ouch!--Arnold in 'Junior'

Dave