 Off-Topic / Debate / 16465
Re: The skinny on Jenin, the European Press
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 18:32:32 GMT

I think Richard and Chris answered most of your other points.

But John & Sheree, none of this answers why the Israelis did not let the UN
into Jenin. Does it? What do they have to hide?

Merely because it *appears* to somebody (who is already pro-Palestinian) that
they are hiding something doesn't necessarily mean that they are!  How lazy at
best; how biased at worst!

Well why did they not let the UN in?

The lack of a ?massacre? does not justify Israel?s actions. The lack of a
?massacre? does not mean Israel did not break international law. The lack of
a ?massacre? does not mean Israel did not abuse human rights. Do you agree?

Israel has the right to defend herself against terrorism as any country does.

Indeed it does.

<warning: dirty little secret coming> Most of the Palestinians killed in Jenin
*were terrorists*.

Do you have proof of that, or is this your old view: Palestinians = terrorists.

That said, your point is irrelevant, except for the fact that the press
probabley thinks the same way you do.  Maybe Israel didn't committ a massacre,
but they are still guilty of x, y, and z, so our glaring error is excusable,
because it is our intention to incriminate Israel (who, we already know, is
guilty), even at the cost of our own credibility.

It should be the press's aim to expose Israel and other wrong doers.

In this conflict, you and the press are so quick to point out *alleged* human
rights violations on Israel's part, and yet so silent about the obvious ones
(such as murdering civilians) or worse, considering *those* violations to be
justified resistance to oppression.

You say "alleged", do you deny that Israel has a shocking human rights record?

You have the right to your opinion, Scott, but the press has no right to impose
theirs in their reporting (unless, of course, it's intended as opinion and
STATED as such)

I agree with that, I think reporting should be independent & accountable.
That's why my main news source is the BBC. What do you use?
http://www.aipac.org?

+++++++The whole point is that the job of the press is to report the *facts*,
not spew their ideological agendas in the guise of "balanced reporting".++++++

I agree with that, I think reporting should be independent & accountable.
That's why my main news source is the BBC.

BTW, I wonder if the BBC will print an apology to Israel for printing such
gross misrepresentations of the facts-- I won't hold my breath...

John, have you even read the reports? The BBC did not report the massacre as
fact, the reported on the claims. Understand the difference.

Scott A