 Off-Topic / Debate / *12231 (-100)
  Re: Excellent article

(...) Do you have any references to good books that describe your ideas about child-rearing? Especially how to handle a transition from an authoritarian regime to one such as you describe? Thanks, /Eric McC/ (23 years ago, 14-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Excellent article

I'm not sure if i'm not clarifying myself well enough or if you are simply prodding me. I think I've said all that I need to on this topic, but I'll mull it over for a couple of days just in case. In short, i'm not trying to change your mind, simply (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Excellent article

(...) Why? (...) So not only do they have no rights whatever, but you don't even have any responsibility to them? What if you are wrong about what they need? (...) Because you reject science as a way to determine and refine our understanding of the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Excellent article

(...) If you mean that you think I'm being too general, then we disagree. If you mean you think that what I meant was something more specific than what I wrote, then that is not correct. I believe that inherent in our humanity is the productive (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fast food restaurants and Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

(...) Hah! Dudes (Dave and Scott C.), I got two words for you: Zankou Chicken If you haven't been there or ordered from there, come over to my crib and I'll take you there, my treat. I'm usually Mr. Vegetarain but Zankou is the s... Since this is (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Excellent article

(...) Of course children deserve love and fair treatment, but it doesn't make sense to me to say we (adults) shouldn't tell kids what to do. Perhaps you're being too general with that statement. Parents ARE here to tell kids (and show them) what to (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: DMCA

(...) You're missing the point. If it was a copyright infringement to play music at a club, there would be no independent clubs in operation. The only legal clubs allowed would be properties of those same copyright holders that prohibit movies from (...) (23 years ago, 11-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Excellent article

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: <snipped everything> You assume too much. Or maybe I just didn't give enough detail on my parenting practices. My wife and I determine the law in our home. I balance the law in our home with (...) (23 years ago, 11-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Excellent article

(...) I would hope that everyone would like to see 20-year longitudinal studies. Then we would have some real knowledge to bandy about. (...) How? It didn't actually do anything. Mostly it came on pretty strongly that kids these days have too much, (...) (23 years ago, 11-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Excellent article

(...) Sure. I'm deeply disturbed by the seeming perception that the only two states that a child can occupy are a) subordinate inferiors and b) overindulged family tyrants. Why is it so tough for people to grasp that there is an actually fair way to (...) (23 years ago, 11-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: DMCA

(...) Dunno about Kirby, but the bit I don't like about it is here (URL) even (URL) here's another reason (URL) isn't about copyright protection, it's about controlling the distribution of copyrighted material, and the owners of the copyright aren't (...) (23 years ago, 10-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anniversary of a hoax? (was Re: Conspiracy theories: men on the moon)

(...) SRC L#765 (URL) (23 years ago, 9-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fast food restaurants and Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

(...) Y'know, in the process of finding a good logo on the KFC website (I ended up combining two in photoshop), I learned that KFC has their secret herbs and spices mixed by two different companies, who of course are sworn to secrecy, and then the (...) (23 years ago, 9-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fast food restaurants and Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

(...) Yummy! Eleven herbs and spices! And I have the gut to prove it, too.... -Dave (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fast food restaurants and Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

(...) and a darn tasty carcass dressing they do. I love all thoes eleven herbs and spices. Scott (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: DMCA

(...) Copyright has never allowed you to copy your favorite songs onto a tape or CD to give to a friend. Fair use probably does allow making a custom mix for your own use (so long as you don't then sell or return the originals). Fair use probably (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: DMCA

(...) Kurby, I hope you have your copy from Copyleft of DIVX :) I know I have mine. Support for organizations like EFF and 2600 is still needed (the 2600 case has so far cost somewhat in excess of 1 million USD) The bad thing is that it is very (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: DMCA

(...) So you're objection is that the DMCA prevents the theft of intellectual property? I don't see the problem. Copyright law for motion pictures, for instance, has long prohibited non-licensed public broadcast, so why should you be allowed to play (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: DMCA

(...) First off, it infringes on free usage rights. According to the normal copyright laws in the U.S., we have limited usage rights to other people's intellectual properties that allow us to quote, critique, distribute (with-out profit) them. The (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: DMCA

(...) To what, specifically, do you object? I'd be interested to explore this topic here on OT.Debate, but I'd like to know something more concrete about your views. In any case, "Know about it/Fear it" is little more than demagoguery. (...) Well, (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  DMCA

Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) give it a "search" in your search engine, plenty of stuff will come up to link to. Read about it. Know about it. Fear it. This is not a local U.S. law only. This is a step towards globalization and puts (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: AHH! They screwed up more on new Trek!

(...) I guess you never watched Voyager. That series put the last nail in the coffin of real Trek. -Mike Petrucelli (23 years ago, 4-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: AHH! They screwed up more on new Trek!

(...) We've talked this up recently...you must've missed it...see here for more: (URL) off-topic.fun...that's where we had it before) (23 years ago, 4-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: AHH! They screwed up more on new Trek!

(...) what new trek? (23 years ago, 4-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: AHH! They screwed up more on new Trek!

(...) Hmmm. The only gripe I have on Enterprise thusfar is the Akiraprise. Everything else I can live with. (23 years ago, 4-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

actally they could have changed system a few times. kinda like uniforms. dunno about ship though. -- And they said 'Computers will never be in general use' "Rick Hallman" <legodude725@removeaol.com> wrote in message news:GHJqK7.CwF@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 4-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: AHH! They screwed up more on new Trek!

(...) Apparently Paramont must thinks the ST fans have all taken stupid pills or something. I have been a fan since the show first aired and have a pretty good sized database of the ST history, it's ships, ect. If they do what it looks like they are (...) (23 years ago, 4-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: AHH! They screwed up more on new Trek!

(...) Says who? Certainly not anyone in the know. For all we know Starfleet decided to incorporate stripes to replace assorted rank insignia from various cultures only to later use pips. Don't try to second-guess the future past....or the past (...) (23 years ago, 4-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Mechcommander 2

(...) And as someone who had a picture taken while laying next to Dan's carrier, I can honestly say that no picture does it justice. At six feet long, it's the single most inpressive space MOC I've ever seen. Hopefully one day, I'll see more things (...) (23 years ago, 3-Aug-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Mechcommander 2

I have just browsed through all of those websites you gave me and all of the ships are quite impressive. They are far better than anything I've ever built.......so far. :-) However, in my list, Mechwarrior lego page is still my faveorite. But, there (...) (23 years ago, 2-Aug-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Mechcommander 2

(...) "undisputed god of lego space!" While I do agree Burkhard's MOCs are great, I think you forgot about some people when you made that comment. Ever heard of these guys (in not particular order): Pat Justison ((URL) Nassar ((URL) Sproat ((URL) (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Excellent article

That is a good article. I'm sure someone wants numbers and links to twenty-year studies, but I have to say it was good. As a parent myself, with a second on the way; having observed how other parents do their job and recollecting what my parents did (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?

(...) communicated to her by her employer, than the Pop-Tart(tm) lady. Still marginal though... (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?

(...) this persone was having trouble with. I hope it gets dismissed as baseless. Further, I'd like to see the law changed to have her pay the legal costs as well. THAT would cut down on frivolous lawsuits, if taking on deep pockets companies didn't (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Excellent article

I just buzzed through Time.com and saw THIS excellent article on parenting. (URL) 23 years old, and approaching the brand new, first ever, niece/nephew event horizon in the middle of September, I've found my thoughts turning more and more to (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I would have been creating models now but the computer is acting weird.

(...) Sorry, I couldn't let you do that. Killing is morally wrong! Except when yur personal safety is at risk. Don't kill anyone, Maggie!! (...) I wonder if they actually tried it - and how many times was the cat found dead? And how many posts (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?

(...) I agree--I'd be especially interested to learn if some sort of inter-office memo had circulated, because the spelling of "Toyota" in such a document would seem a clear implication of the nature of the prize. (...) In addition, I flatly (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I would have been creating models now but the computer is acting weird.

(...) But you cannot know whether you've killed it until someone opens the box, which I suppose I've just done. So you didn't kill it, but now maybe I will (not the cat, the thread). (And why a cat rather than a dog?? I suppose a dog might upset the (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?

(...) IANAL, so what do I know, but I think you're right. It seems clear a car was implied (especially since they took her to the parking lot to receive it). (...) Sure, I agree here too, but I still think the "McDonald's hot coffee spilled on lap" (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?

(...) I heard of one where the winner of a contest was promised the keys to a brand new Porshe...and got just that. (...) Who was the fellow? Was he an orderly or some maintenance fellow? james (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Yes, but WWI only tore up the ground in the immediate vicinity of, say, Passchendaele, and that was over four years of intense, repeated bombardment. Beyond the first 30 miles or so of the "front," levels of destruction dropped dramatically. (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I would have been creating models now but the computer is acting weird.

(...) Metaphysical rumination: If a thread is redirected, but the thread dies before any posts can be "redirected," has the thread actually been redirected? (Is the cat in the box alive or dead? Is that why Schulz picked "Schroeder" and not (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?

(...) I think in that second case, the plaintiff is in the right-- if the implication was that the prize was a car, then using trickery to get the motivational results pursuant to offering a car as a performance incentive is completely dishonest. (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?

(...) (URL) (23 years ago, 31-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) Well, in some ways that's perhaps true. What were the total casualties in Iraq compared to other wars of comparable scope? While Iraq certainly reminded us of what "precision" means with respect to tossing bombs hundreds of miles, we certainly (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) dont (...) Well believe it or not, when the Wright brothers inveted the plane, they had envisioned it as something that would make war less violent, because they thought that it would allow generals to spy on each other and stuff, and avoid (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?

(URL) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I would have been creating models now but the computer is acting weird.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Trevor Pruden writes: <snip> (...) 'm not sure that mass copying all of these over without adding any new text was all that useful, I think just suggesting that the thread be moved in one post probably would have (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) And more unpredictable. There aren't really "front lines" you can avoid - they'll hit just about anywhere. The horror of war that it is difficult to run from. (...) This isn't entirely accurate. It was used first as intelligence gathering (as (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) I'm sorry--I'm not quite understanding. Are you saying it's true that the buying age is 18 or 21? Dave! (23 years ago, 28-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) LFB After reading your above statement I must ask, where do you teach at? After spending 4 (long) years at West Point I must say that hearing your previous post brings me back to my days as a cadet in one of my military history classes. I was (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A one time thing?/community

(...) I think thats what I said... Also to clarify: NELUG has debated this issue 3 times in our 2 years of existance, each time the decision was the same. We are not going to debate the issue for a fourth time in 2 years. I can't say we won't 3, 4, (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) That's just swiping JFC Fuller! :) Read Fuller's treatises on air power, written just after the horror of WWI, to see how much they feared the bomber. ("The bomber will always get through", all of that.) (...) It could theoretically fire (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A one time thing?/community

(...) I just wanted to clarify: this issue *is* up for debate. Anyone can discuss this issue. Whether or not NELUG policy will see reform is also up for debate. Whether or not the policies of other LUGs see this rule is up for discussion. Any effort (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All updated Keppler Industries 2.5 is up!

(...) Just removing the .space link (23 years ago, 29-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I would have been creating models now but the computer is acting weird.

(...) Just redirecting to lugnet.off-topic.debate (23 years ago, 29-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I would have been creating models now but the computer is acting weird.

(...) Just redirecting to lugnet.off-topic.debate (23 years ago, 29-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I would have been creating models now but the computer is acting weird.

(...) (23 years ago, 29-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I would have been creating models now but the computer is acting weird.

(...) Reposting to .off-topic.debate (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Factions (and violence)

(...) ive recently read the book _Modernity and Warfare_ by pk lawrence, in it he describes air power as the apex of modern warfare, in being both aesthetic and horribly violent. the war plane itself (be it biplane, divebomber, or stealth fighter) (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

jeez.. you people take life way to seriously. Jesse Alan Long <joyous4god2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:GH7q7J.Cy9@lugnet.com... (...) out (...) very (...) you (...) idea (...) you) (...) to (...) have (...) too (...) names, (...) have (...) (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All updated Keppler Industries 2.5 is up!

(...) (Jesse, that is J-E-S-S-E, yawns at the idle threat of Mladen.) You are too late, Mladen, every sane person HAS lost hope in me. I never had any hope to begin with in my life, always being called a loser and other such names, being considered (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Yeah, if anyone wants to fight about something .space is the place to be. Gary Kirby Warden <inourimage@msn.com> wrote in message news:GH6nvH.A6L@lugnet.com... (...) at: (...) does it (...) rebuild (...) did, so (...) acting (...) can (...) and (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All updated Keppler Industries 2.5 is up!

Wowzers!!! Just look at all these shiney happy people... (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gun Control, Unnessesary Evil

(...) then. (...) It is oversimplifing the situation, I'll grant you that, but is essentially true. If it is illegal to purchase a firearm the only way to obtain one is to become a criminal and break the law. Of course as I stated, at present time (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) Hey, I got my license only after I was 18 too! (: Fun trivia: In Texas you could get a hardship license at an early age (15?) if you had to help raise your large family. (23 years ago, 28-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Highway Funds & Drinking

(...) Geez, and we just lost $10 million in Federal pork for our Manhattan Bridge which is only a $2 billion refurbushing. I bet it went to Boston (oink oink). -Erik -surviving Week 1 of the Manhattan Bridge "biggest subway reroute ever seen in New (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) year olds can't even be shown a screening of the film they acted in...) (...) Everywhere that I've lived since I was a teen, this was true. Missouri and Illinois for sure, and I think New Jersey too. Chris (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) Yup, the Viet Nam War changed that: old enough to die, old enough to vote. I was in that first batch of under 21 voters like you. :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) 1972 - I voted for the first time, in a Presidential Election, at age 18. (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All updated Keppler Industries 2.5 is up!

(...) You need to stop this right now Jessie! (yes, I am trying to "anger" you) ;-) Why do you constantly make stupid criticisms? You seem to want people to model all their creations and work around your preferences. I'm not mister perfect, and I've (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gun Control, Unnessesary Evil

(...) You recognize that this ridiculously popular mantra is a tautology, of course? One might as well say that Internet access requires a computer, so only people who have computers will access the Internet. (...) It is a falacy that people choose (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gun Control, Unnessesary Evil

(...) One can obtain a gun illegally more easily than one can legally. If the legal means were eliminated logically only criminals would have guns then. (...) It probably would reduce accidental shootings by persons that own a firearm but do not (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Highway Funds & Drinking

(...) Heh-- not always :) If you recall recently there was a big hubbub about Mass's jynormous highway project, the Big Dig, and whether or not to cut of federal funds since the project was ridiculously over budget and overdue. I think it's the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) Huh-- they must've changed it since I went thru drivers ed-- (which I also did a year late at age 17-- although I got my licence after my birthday, so I was 18 by then). Although I think the junior-operator thing was still in effect (I had (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) I'll go further than that. (and yes, I am butting in too) If a membership of a private organization votes to do things a certain way, that *in and of itself* is reasonable, no matter *what* reasons they chose for voting that way. Freedom to (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) As a matter of fact, I got my driver's license for the first time on Tuesday at the tender age of 30. Let's race! (...) Well, you know US History better, too. But I'll bet we can beat you on 70's sitcom trivia! Dave! (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) As aeon wrote, the US Congress coerced the states to change the age to 21. Strictly speaking, this is the age at which one can buy or be served alcohol at a bar or non-family situation (I'm not sure of the exact definition). People under 21 (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Then you simply haven't been reading. The reasons have been hashed over again and again. If you care what they are, feel free to look up several other threads where they have been stated. (...) That's an illogical conclusion. (...) This is, (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) No, actually, in Mass it's 16 for permit and 16.5 for license. I just got mine yesterday (half a year "late" ;-). 'Til you're 18, you have a junior-operator license, meaning you can only drive at certain hours. How come I know the laws better (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) In what states is that the case? As far as I know, in PA, NY, and TX the buying age in 18. Dave! (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: US age restrictions

(...) - usually treated as an adult within the court system (...) Actually, this one varies for various things. (...) - Usually the age one can _act_ in a pornographic film - see below... (...) - Usually the age one can _buy_ or be _given_ (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gun Control, Unnessesary Evil

(...) It is evident that the levels of gun use you enjoy in the USA is not stopping criminals either. Do you not think for one second that gun control may have the ability to reduce the numbers of guns which reach the hands of criminals? Do you not (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Because US Congress, overstepping their bounds as usual, attatched a conditional to highway funds so that if a state had a lower drinking age than 21, they would not get the highway funds. (Of course the money comes from the citizens of the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  US age restrictions

(...) I think some things (like driving at least) are defined by state law, while others are nationwide... but I think (at least around here): 15.5 - Can get a learner's permit (can drive with supervising driver present) 16 - Age of consent (what (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) May I ask why the drinking age in the US is 21? Do any other rights/privileges accrue at that age, or is everything else 16/18+? Or is alcohol thought to be such a dangerous drug that it shouldn't be used while someone is still in their teens? (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gun Control, Unnessesary Evil

(...) wrong (...) Well if by "wrong" one means, morally, then no. If by "wrong" one means, not a good idea, then yes. (After reading Lindsay's post I relized I needed to clarify my statement) I realize that my position is a minority one in this (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) BayLUG always has been, and always will be, open to people of all ages. (...) Sure, come on down! Russell (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Umm, I think you're over generalizing here. Based on the above statement, Lugnet is a "closed group" since it is NOT open to just anyone. It limits membership to people who are willing to follow a few basic rules. At least one person has been (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) neither (...) In your opinion. Who are you to determine, as fact, the worth of my statements?? (...) I haven't seen any reasonable arguements other than 'that's how we voted to do it'. Sounds like some of the 'they're my marbles, so it's my (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Shiri - A one time thing?

(...) Well...I find the whole topic offensive. Same for defense of it on all sides, including my own. What I did wrong was to discuss it in the wrong newsgroup. But I've said my piece. Cheers, - jsproat (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go ahead, make my day!

(...) Texas IS the only soverign nation that petitioned to join (and there are those that claim that it therefore has the right to secede again :-) ) ++Lar (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go ahead, make my day!

(...) It's interesting reading. The defense of property part is what I suspected it might be - even though that is couched in "reasonable belief" terms and "can't get the property back" terms, tackling a guy running off with your stereo is fraught (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gun Control, Unnessesary Evil

(...) So it is not "wrong" then? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go ahead, make my day!

(...) Well, since you keep bringing Texas up, I thought I would give you a little reading material.... SUBCHAPTER C. PROTECTION OF PERSONS § 9.31. Self-Defense (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go ahead, make my day!

(...) And very nicely done. It's always nice to find the proper spot for Dave! (1) 2 - other people's footnotes ++Lar (reduce, reuse (2), recycle.. but do NOT "redirect" to local.portugal please) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gun Control, Unnessesary Evil

(...) It's wrong for the context of the United States. Small-arms control may be just dandy for other countries, but the US isn't another country. The Constitution is part of the reason, but it is in itself not enough justification--the Constitution (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go ahead, make my day!

(...) I think you have WAY too narrow a view of what "reasonable belief" is. Maybe that's where you may think I'm foolish, but I think you're beyond foolish in what you think it will/will not cover (in states outside of your precious California, (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Go ahead, make my day!

(...) <awkward snip: the following is attributed to Bruce S. by Dave! [1]> (...) I'll say! I mean, think of John Wayne Gacy, and that clown from Stephen King's novel "It". Thank goodness the last Bozo (Chicago area) is finally going to clown (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact