 Off-Topic / Debate / 12154
Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:39:28 GMT

Dave Low wrote:

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:

Actually, the drinking age in all the USA is now 21, so that can't be the
reason.
I was guessing the real reason had to do with pornographic Lego models.  :-)

May I ask why the drinking age in the US is 21? Do any other
rights/privileges accrue at that age, or is everything else 16/18+?  Or is
alcohol thought to be such a dangerous drug that it shouldn't be used while
someone is still in their teens?

--DaveL

As aeon wrote, the US Congress coerced the states to change the age to 21.

Strictly speaking, this is the age at which one can buy or be served
alcohol at a bar or non-family situation (I'm not sure of the exact definition).

People under 21 may legally drink alcohol at home.

Anyway, aeon's answer doesn't address why the US Congress felt the need to
do this.  Basically, it was due to scares over excessive teen binge drinking
and the consequences.  However, it might be that the higher drinking age
is counter-productive.

For some easy reading about this see
  http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/
in particular see