 Off-Topic / Debate / 12153
Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:31:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Paul Sinasohn writes:
In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.people, Paul Sinasohn writes:
In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.people, Paul Sinasohn writes:
Perosnally, I think that NELUG is being stupid by enforcing their under-18
rule with you.

I haven't seen any reasonable arguements other than 'that's how we voted to do
it'.

Then you simply haven't been reading.  The reasons have been hashed over again
and again.  If you care what they are, feel free to look up several other
threads where they have been stated.

Any organization which limits membership in any way is by definition not
'open'. By being a closed group, you are not open to new ideas or
contributions.

That's an illogical conclusion.

I understand your desire to run your club in the manner you've chosen. I find
it discriminatory, distasteful, and rude. You aren't the first people to run
organizations or societies in the manner you've chosen. There are historical
examples from around the world. I won't go there.

This is, quite frankly, ridiculous.  If you really equate NELUG's membership
policies with historical discrimination- or worse, atrocities- then you need to
do some serious re-evaluating.

Which makes you a tremendous hypocrite.

Nor am I hypocritical. My membership in BAYLUG is partly predicated on the fact
that there are no limitations on who can join,

Your hypocrisy has nothing to do with BAYLUG's membership policies.

You are a hypocrite because while you are in the process of decrying NELUG for
not being "thoughtful" and "considerate"- and now accusing us for being "rude"-
and saying that we don't "play well"- you, yourself, are being inconsiderate,
rude, thoughtless, and failing to "play well".

As a hint to help you think about your inability to "play well"- which of the
two of us sought out this interaction?  You jumped into this thread and
insulted the membership of NELUG without any sort of provocation.

If you can't see how that makes you a hypocrite, all I can do is refer you to
the nearest dictionary.

eric