 Off-Topic / Debate / 12143
Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:47:01 GMT

Paul Sinasohn wrote:
Any organization which limits membership in any way is by definition not
'open'. By being a closed group, you are not open to new ideas or
contributions. By rejecting new input or ideas from new people, you don't "play
well" with them. I stand by my point.

Umm, I think you're over generalizing here. Based on the above
statement, Lugnet is a "closed group" since it is NOT open to just
anyone. It limits membership to people who are willing to follow a few
basic rules. At least one person has been banned from Lugnet.

On the other hand, your refusal to understand our desire to run our club in • the
way we see fit is evidence of how "open" you are being, and your tone is
anything but "thoughtful" and "considerate".  *You*, Paul, are the one who is
not "playing well".

I understand your desire to run your club in the manner you've chosen. I find
it discriminatory, distasteful, and rude. You aren't the first people to run
organizations or societies in the manner you've chosen. There are historical
examples from around the world. I won't go there. I've been on the 'outside' of
a closed group in my lifetime - perhaps you haven't. It's not a nice feeling,
and that's why I find closed groups such an anathema.

While I am very disappointed in the choice that NELUG made on this
subject, I do not see NELUG's discrimination (and it is discrimination,
however, private groups are [or should be] free to discriminate) as
being in the same class you are aluding to. The primary thing they have
chosen to do is restrict their membership to adults. There certainly are
some legitimate reasons to do so, though my personal feeling is that
they could be addressed.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com