 Off-Topic / Debate / 12142
Re: Shiri - A one time thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:57:00 GMT

In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.people, Paul Sinasohn writes:
In lugnet.people, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.people, Paul Sinasohn writes:
Perosnally, I think that NELUG is being stupid by enforcing their under-18
rule with you.

Thanks for your flam- uh, I mean, thoughtful opinion.  I'm sure we'll all • learn
and grow from it.

I doubt it.

You should- it was sarcasm, meant to point out that your statement was • neither
thoughtful nor necessary.

In your opinion. Who are you to determine, as fact, the worth of my
statements??

You've shown no ability to think, consider, or learn from anyone
about this issue.

You are confusing the fact that I haven't seen a reason to change my opinion
with the above.

I haven't seen any reasonable arguements other than 'that's how we voted to do
it'. Sounds like some of the 'they're my marbles, so it's my rules' whining
that I heard from other children when I was growing up. To forestall your
question, I didn't have my own marbles, so I usually just didn't play with
those kids.

Like Jeremy, I have an extremely low opinion of NELUG,

Which you are entitled to.  But you'll excuse me if I don't lose any sleep
over it.

I'd be surprised if you did.

and
that will change only when I've seen evidence of an ability to PLAY WELL with
otehrs and be open, thoughtful, and considerate.

I would point to NELUG's membership and active nature as being evidence of our
abilities to "play well" with others.

Any organization which limits membership in any way is by definition not
'open'. By being a closed group, you are not open to new ideas or
contributions. By rejecting new input or ideas from new people, you don't "play
well" with them. I stand by my point.

On the other hand, your refusal to understand our desire to run our club in • the
way we see fit is evidence of how "open" you are being, and your tone is
anything but "thoughtful" and "considerate".  *You*, Paul, are the one who is
not "playing well".

I understand your desire to run your club in the manner you've chosen. I find
it discriminatory, distasteful, and rude. You aren't the first people to run
organizations or societies in the manner you've chosen. There are historical
examples from around the world. I won't go there. I've been on the 'outside' of
a closed group in my lifetime - perhaps you haven't. It's not a nice feeling,
and that's why I find closed groups such an anathema.

Which makes you a tremendous hypocrite.

eric

Nor am I hypocritical. My membership in BAYLUG is partly predicated on the fact
that there are no limitations on who can join, by age, location, or
block-brand-of-choice. IF limitations were ever to be considered, I would be a
vocal opponent of them. And were they to be put in place, I'd leave the group.

I don't have time to continue this debate with you. My lunch hour is over, and
I have work to finish this afternoon. Just go play with your bricks in your
corner with yoru friends, and I'll play with my bricks in my corner with mine.
If I never play with your bricks, small loss.

Just know that even you would be welcomed at a BAYLUG meeting, though perhaps
the reversed situation would not be true.

Paul Sinasohn
speaking for myself