 Off-Topic / Debate / 12134
Re: Go ahead, make my day!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:03:13 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

For that matter, I see little point in responding to Tom, who comes up with
the Klassic Klueless Suicide Logic Bomb of dismissing everything I have to
say because I am from K(C)alifornia - which is pretty clueless in and of
itself, but with the added note that *he* is from California.  All I can do
is stand back and marvel that someone is that determined to make a fool of
himself.

You are the showing yourself to be the King Fool then.  You try to tell everyone else
that DOESN'T live in California how much trouble they'll get into, forgetting that the
World Does Not Revolve Around California, and laws in other states aren't necessarily
going to be the same as ours.  Fool you are, indeed.  Quote all the "experts" you want,
if they're basing their "facts" on California law, you are making a total fool of
yourself.

Actually, the only law that was quoted here on the board was from Colorado.
I've heard similiar claims from people in other states - I can't think of
one that didn't mention the stuff about reasonable belief that you were in
some sort of physical danger to justify deadly force.  I mentioned
California because that is the one I am most familiar with, but that doesn't
mean that I based what I said solely on that experience. (and yes, I
understand that "reasonable belief" offers a wide lattitude of protection to
the homeowner and am not arguing against it).

I don't know why you enjoy hanging yourself publically, but here's some more
rope.

I think you have WAY too narrow a view of what "reasonable belief" is.  Maybe that's where
you may think I'm foolish, but I think you're beyond foolish in what you think it will/will
not cover (in states outside of your precious California, anyways).  Must be those
Kalifornia Blinders again.

Use the rope yourself, you need it far more than I do.

My favorite was the
law quote that actually backed me up almost word for word.

You can't read very well, can you?  I think you need to read that CO law again.

Tell me where I was wrong.  I read it very thoroughly.

"Reasonable belief" stretches a lot farther than you think.  And it's not "reasonable belief
after all the facts have been weighed, the police have done their investigation, and you
have/haven't been charged", it's "reasonable belief in that instant".  Your Uncle Harry
example?  "Reasonable belief".

All I said from the beginning is simply that you do not have carte blanche to shoot
intruders.

Bull.  You then railed at people about all sorts of scenarios.  Scenarios that the CO
law would cover, regardless of your precious California law expert.

No, you guys railed at me over scenarios that you incorrectly presumed my
opinion on.

-----
I beleived that the intruder was about to sexually assault my wife (or even
me, who knows about people these days). *BLAM*

Oh dang, that was a woman you shot - your alibi doesn't hold up.  They cart
you off to jail.  Bubba thinks you are cute.
-----

Here's your rope, sir.

Note above, for example, how you presumed the entirety of my
experience was with California alone.

Well, then, you failed in your background.  All we've seen is:
My grandfather, with 20 years on the LAPD and about 20 more as a Special
Investigator for the State of California was my source, by the way.

Have some more rope.

Think otherwise?  Go check your state law.

Now THAT is what you should have said in the first place.  And I suggest you check out
all 50 state laws - some are even more lenient than the CO law.

Then quote me them instead of just shooting your mouth off.  I'm sure some
are more lenient then others (I noted all bets were off on Texas, for
example - you are presuming my opinion again when I have already stated
otherwise).

If you presume some are more lenient than others, why have you wasted EVERYONE'S time with
this BS?  Preaching to others about their state laws without knowing what they truly are?
You've just proved my point about Kalifornia Blinders, thank you.  Have a chair and a beam
to go with that rope.

YOU quote the laws of other states to back your assertions, or quit wasting everyone's time
preaching your "feeling" of them based on California law (and if you really do have other
bases, state them).

Shrug.  People want their macho fantasies.

If that's your answer to people showing what a fool you are, fine, we're all macho.
Whatever.

I'm not that concerned what you think, Tom.  I really don't have any respect
for the way you state your opinions regardless of whether I agree with them
or not.  Your Kalifornians are Klueless attack was your typical ad hominen
level of personal assault.

When did I ever say Californians are clueless?  You show no respect for me or any other
Californian with that (looks like an AH attack against an entire state to me).  I've never
said Californians in general are (now you may be, but that is for others in this forum to
decide).

I have no problem using "Kalifornia" to state my disdain for some of the laws of this state,
however, and I feel only Californians have that right, having to live under them.  And if
you're going to spout Kalifornia laws without looking up other states laws, I think you are
using Kalifornia Blinders.

Bruce, you take things more personally than anyone else in this group (short of possibly one
person).  Might I suggest some anger management therapy?

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/