 Off-Topic / Debate / 12216
Re: DMCA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:02:10 GMT

Kirby Warden wrote:

To what, specifically, do you object?  I'd be interested to explore this
topic here on OT.Debate, but I'd like to know something more concrete about
your views.  In any case, "Know about it/Fear it" is little more than
demagoguery.

First off, it infringes on free usage rights.

According to the normal copyright laws in the U.S., we have limited usage
rights to other people's intellectual properties that allow us to quote,
critique, distribute (with-out profit) them.

The DMCA prohibits these rights.

Potentially, I cannot record any of my music collection and distribute my
favorite songs to my friends, or play them at a public gathering (i.e. club
or party) without fear of lawsuit.

Copyright has never allowed you to copy your favorite songs onto a tape
or CD to give to a friend. Fair use probably does allow making a custom
mix for your own use (so long as you don't then sell or return the
originals). Fair use probably does allow playing music at a party, but
probably (and customarily) does not allow playing music for profit (bars
and are supposed to pay licensing fees for use of music, to make the
process a little easier, their are a couple organizations which work as
a clearing house for these fees, ASCAP is one of those organizations).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com