 Off-Topic / Debate / 12214
Re: DMCA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 18:24:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

To what, specifically, do you object?  I'd be interested to explore this
topic here on OT.Debate, but I'd like to know something more concrete about
your views.  In any case, "Know about it/Fear it" is little more than
demagoguery.

First off, it infringes on free usage rights.

According to the normal copyright laws in the U.S., we have limited usage
rights to other people's intellectual properties that allow us to quote,
critique, distribute (with-out profit) them.

The DMCA prohibits these rights.

Potentially, I cannot record any of my music collection and distribute my
favorite songs to my friends, or play them at a public gathering (i.e. club
or party) without fear of lawsuit.

So you're objection is that the DMCA prevents the theft of intellectual
property?  I don't see the problem.  Copyright law for motion pictures, for
instance, has long prohibited non-licensed public broadcast, so why should
you be allowed to play copyrighted music at a club?  Further, if you are a
DJ and charge a fee for your services, then you're profiting from the
broadcasting of copyrighted intellectual property--again, I don't see the
problem.

The point I am trying to make, however, is that the current trend to
globaliztion is infringing on the rights of individuals according to *my*
definition of rights.

The fewer choices we have in this world, the less diversity we allow, the
more likely-hood of the Brave New World as envisioned by Aldous Huxley.

  That's classic slippery slope (ie, falacious) reasoning.  There is no
certainty that the DMCA (or any other so-called "trend to globalization")
will lead to such a monochrome dystopia as that predicted by Huxley (or
Orwell, while we're at it.)

The DMCA is one more step closer to this inhuman Utopia.

  Every time you start your car, or open a can of soda, or turn on your
lights, or read a book in standard English, or use plastic, or wear
clothing, or eat store-bought food, you are yourself taking a step closer to
this "inhuman Utopia," which, by the way, is an inflammatory propaganda
spin-word.

It is unfortuante that the major networks here in the U.S. are funded by
some of the same corporations that I am sure support the DMCA.

  Unless you've used imprecise wording, then you're condemning the DMCA, in
part, due to your speculative perception of things, and in any case the
statement is non-specific and inflammatory.  The DMCA is or is not valid
regardless of which corporations support it, rather than because of their
support.

     Dave!