 Off-Topic / Debate / 12221
Re: DMCA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:47:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA)

give it a "search" in your search engine, plenty of stuff will come up to
link to.

Read about it.
Know about it.
Fear it.

To what, specifically, do you object?  I'd be interested to explore this
topic here on OT.Debate, but I'd like to know something more concrete about
your views.  In any case, "Know about it/Fear it" is little more than
demagoguery.

Dunno about Kirby, but the bit I don't like about it is here

http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=sklyarov

or

http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=Johansen

or even

http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=Goldstein

Oh, here's another reason

http://slashdot.org/features/00/05/11/0153247.shtml

This isn't about copyright protection, it's about controlling the distribution
of copyrighted material, and the owners of the copyright aren't making the
desicions, the feds are (with a bit of help from the major media distributors).

They're saying I can buy an encrypted DVD at the local store, and play it on my
Windows laptop, but not on my [insert favourite open source OS here] computer.

They're saying I can't buy a DVD from the US on the web & play it in my DVD
player here in Australia (or vice versa). Of course this will be unworkable, as
many un-regionalised DVD players were sold before they came up with this law,
and most DVD player vendors offer ways to disable the region check if you ask
nicely (and fork over some more cash).

I can't even post a link to a site which has information on how to bypass a
EULA which allows me to download some software I may be interested in (see last
article above).

So I think that pretty much sums up what I find unacceptable / unworkable about
the DMCA. It's basically companies like AOL Time Warner etc showing how they
can buy politicians to vote for unworkable laws.

ROSCO