 Off-Topic / Debate / 12139
Re: Go ahead, make my day!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:05:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

Well, since you keep bringing Texas up, I thought I would give you a little
reading material....

It's interesting reading.  The defense of property part is what I suspected
it might be - even though that is couched in "reasonable belief" terms and
"can't get the property back" terms, tackling a guy running off with your
stereo is fraught with danger and I rather imagine that it works out to be a
near-blanket allowance to shoot someone fleeing with your stuff.  Use of
deadly force seems to be specifically allowed in rather broad terms against
someone entering your home.  In some ways I was surprised the Colorado law
didn't look more like this.  A southern rather than western outlook?  Or
just Texan (which is something of a unique state)?

Bruce