 Off-Topic / Debate / 12200
Re: Excellent article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:22:54 GMT

That is a good article.  I'm sure someone wants numbers and links to
twenty-year studies, but I have to say it was good.  As a parent myself,
with a second on the way; having observed how other parents do their job and
recollecting what my parents did with me, I have to say that this article is
a step in the right direction.

If any of my children recieve crayons or markers, they will be told what
*not* to do with them.  If i find writing on the walls, someone is going to
get a warm bottom, if I can't figure out who did it, they both get the warm
bottom.

No video games except with me at the arcade.

Limited t.v.

Lots of time doing *projects* (here is where the wife comes in handy)

just enough toys to provide constructive alone time (where the imagination
can be excersized)

Lots of chores

Lots of hugs, kisses, and positive reinforcement ("lovins")

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matt Brooks writes:
I just buzzed through Time.com and saw THIS excellent article on
parenting.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101010806/cover.html

Being 23 years old, and approaching the brand new, first ever,
niece/nephew event horizon in the middle of September, I've found my
thoughts turning more and more to considering having a child. Along with
that, I think about how I would go about raising a child in today's
culture.

This article definitely gave me some food for thought. Anybody else care
to share?