 Off-Topic / Debate / 12195
Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:38:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/07/28/life.poptart.reut/index.html

I like this one too...

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010728/us/toy_yoda_3.html

  I may take some lumps for this, but...

  I think in that second case, the plaintiff is in the right--

  I agree--I'd be especially interested to learn if some sort of
inter-office memo had circulated, because the spelling of "Toyota" in such a
document would seem a clear implication of the nature of the prize.

  That said, I think the woman with the pop-tart is an idiot,
  and shouldn't get a dime.  She should consider herself lucky
  if her homeowner's insurance even pays out!

  In addition, I flatly disbelieve that she was gone for "10-20" minutes,
because it seems unlikely that a full firefighting complement could have
arrived on the scene in so short a time.  That is, while the firefighters
themselves might have responded that quickly, but I don't know how they'd've
been alerted to the blaze so rapidly, unless the homeonwner had some sort of
auto-alert smoke detection system.
  I started filling my bathtub this morning before work, so by now it's
surely overflowed.  Should I sue the water company?

By the way, did anyone hear about the MRI accident yesterday?
I can't WAIT to see the lawsuit/settlement on THAT one--it's another pretty
clear-cut case (and the hospital has, to its credit, admitted as much).

  Yeah, that's a rare case of an institution taking full responsibility
right from the start.  Here's a link:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/mri010731.html

     Dave!