 Off-Topic / Debate / 12189
Re: Frivolous lawsuits--a new winner?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:52:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/07/28/life.poptart.reut/index.html

I like this one too...

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010728/us/toy_yoda_3.html

   I may take some lumps for this, but...

   I think in that second case, the plaintiff is in the right--
   if the implication was that the prize was a car, then using
   trickery to get the motivational results pursuant to offering
   a car as a performance incentive is completely dishonest.  The
   key, as far as I'm concerned, is that she's only asking for
   the car she believes was promised.  She's not going for $1.5m
   or anything stupid like that.  If the implication was made
   sufficiently that any reasoning person could be expected to
   draw that conclusion, or that deception was intended, then
   it's a pretty clear-cut case.

   By the way, precedent is that in such cases, the plaintiff
   gets the promised vehicle or its cash equivalent.  There was
   one from a couple of years ago where a radio station offered
   a contest to win a new Mustang, and at the last second gave
   the winner a die-cast toy.  She sued and won quite handily--
   car motor noises had been used in the promo spots (IIRC) and
   the implication had been made on the air that the vehicle
   could be "driven away" with.

   That said, I think the woman with the pop-tart is an idiot,
   and shouldn't get a dime.  She should consider herself lucky
   if her homeowner's insurance even pays out!  Running a heating-
   element device unattended is simply stupid.  Even a curling
   iron, if handled poorly, can burn down a house.

   By the way, did anyone hear about the MRI accident yesterday?
   Some yutz walked into the scanning room--with its 10-ton electro-
   magnet--carrying an oxygen tank, for some reason.  Predictably,
   it was ripped from his grip and FLEW across the room and into
   the aperture, killing a 6-year-old boy.  I can't WAIT to see the
   lawsuit/settlement on THAT one--it's another pretty clear-cut
   case (and the hospital has, to its credit, admitted as much).

   best

   LFB