 Off-Topic / Debate / 12165
Re: Highway Funds & Drinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 01:32:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Victor Knight writes:
Because US Congress, overstepping their bounds as usual, attatched a
conditional to highway funds so that if a state had a lower drinking age
than 21, they would not get the highway funds. (Of course the money comes
from the citizens of the states in the first place..)

Heh-- not always :) If you recall recently there was a big hubbub about
Mass's jynormous highway project, the Big Dig, and whether or not to cut of
federal funds since the project was ridiculously over budget and overdue. I
think it's the largest budgeted road construction project in US history...

Geez, and we just lost $10 million in Federal pork for our Manhattan Bridge
which is only a $2 billion refurbushing. I bet it went to Boston (oink oink).

-Erik
-surviving Week 1 of the Manhattan Bridge "biggest subway reroute ever seen
in New York City" project. Hey, if everybody affected by the rerouting this
week alone had put a dollar in the turnstile, we'd have that $10 million all
of a sudden....