 Off-Topic / Debate / 12147
12146  |  12148
Subject:
US age restrictions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 05:08:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Dave Low writes:
May I ask why the drinking age in the US is 21? Do any other
rights/privileges accrue at that age, or is everything else 16/18+?  Or is
alcohol thought to be such a dangerous drug that it shouldn't be used while
someone is still in their teens?

I think some things (like driving at least) are defined by state law, while
others are nationwide... but I think (at least around here):

15.5 - Can get a learner's permit (can drive with supervising driver present)
16 - Age of consent (what does that actually mean?)
   - Can get a driver's licence
18 - Can vote
   - Treated legally as an adult
   - Could get drafted! (if it were reinstated)
   - May *purchase* cigarettes (note, you can smoke all you want if you are
     given them!)
21 - Drinking age (21 also used to be voting age, but that changed in the 60's
     or so... I'm not sure exactly when)
25 - Can rent a car (how that got decided I'll never know). Actually, I think
     you *can* rent a car before then but it's exhorbitantly priced? Something
     to do with insurance, I'm sure.

DaveE