 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2589
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 18:28:26 GMT

Richard,

I couldn't have stated it any better than you in the way you lament our lack of
basic building parts.  You waxed poetically at the historic lack of parts
available to the fans of their products. Ironically TLCs own set designers are
also constrained by what is available to them in parts to use.  Only the Legoland
model builders appear to have laissez faire parts access.  Hmmmm, I bet this
would make for an interesting Wall Street Journal story.

Gary Istok

richard marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Jeff's description of a vicious circle in product development (moving more
and more in the Jr direction as the effects of previous jrization show up in
product play time and retention time marketing studies) is particularly apt.
And scary!

You're right, Larry!  And you know how I hate it when that happens...

=oP

I had a co-worker, who shall remain nameless, who possesses this kind of
short attention span.  We had gone to TRU together a few times -- and while
I always made for the construction toy aisles, he always made for the
videogame section. The strange thing is I have seen him blow some serious
money on a variety of games and systems, only to become almost immediately
bored with them.  He purchased a Game Boy and a mass of games, only to give
them away within a few weeks.  He had received a Dreamcast system, only to
give it to someone else in turn in just a few months.  He recently purchased
a Playstation 2, and I expect it will go the same route as the previous
systems and games. I know that he rarely plays these games to the end,
becoming bored with them far in advance of that.  He even complains of his
own short attention span, and while not using these very words, he often
expresses something akin to "Is that all there is?" just like in the song by
Peggy Lee!

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083/isthat.htm

I dunno.  One has to pace oneself.  One must have a variety of interests,
true, but also concentrate on the few that best fulfill one's mode of
expression.

But maybe that's the problem -- people lack for things to express.  Instead
they consume at an ever more frenzied pace having not much to say.

And while there's no doubt that the average AFOL is a consumer of a sort --
I personally consume with a bigger picture in mind than mere consumerism for
consumerism's sake.  I have a plan, as yet not much revealed to the rest of
you here, that is fairly impressive (or so I hope, sad Lego boy that I am).
I purchase and trade with my project in mind.  I am not obsessed with being
complete in anything, which is why I am NOT complete in anything.  I prefer
to purchase several of one thing that meets certain needs, than to spend on
something else because of a collector's impulse.  And I guess that's why I
fault the impulse towards collecting MISB sets -- such a person isn't even
playing with the sets!  "Collecting" Lego just smacks of an impulse that I
think is sort of dangerous.  But, I guess to each his own...

I just hope that this need to consume doesn't somehow filter into other
aspects of one's life -- but I bet it does!  I bet the high divorce rate has
something to do with people's general and increasing frivolity.  They just
can't stay with anything!

Bored?

Hey! Check out the neighbor's wife...no, wait -- the Giants are playing at
3Com...where's the beer?...I don't want to watch Survivor!...When does
Weakest Link air?...Where's my 10 oz. Jack 'n Zac?

-- Hop-Frog