 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2450
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 09:15:43 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Well said. I get grouchy too.

I wonder how many people who wanted to pay shipping costs would be willing
to pay the extra costs of the out of band processing too. Here's a slightly
relevant factoid.. the average US company pays well north of 50 dollars in
administrative overhead to collect for and ship something to someone when it
isn't free and isn't routed through their normal fulfillment channels. All
that paperwork and out of band processing costs big bucks.  Would you pay 50
bucks extra per order to get those parts sent to you in the US from the UK?

So...

Efficient:
UK S@H pays someone to pull a bunch of service packs and box them up for
shipment to the U.S. LEGO pays for these things to be shipped over to
Connecticut. U.S. S@H pays someone to receive the shipment, enter it into
the inventory, shelve it/stock it, whatever. THEN, I call U.S. S@H and order
my stuff.

Inefficient:
I call UK S@H, order service packs from a UK S@H employee doing his usual
job. They check the UPS chart, tell me shipping costs, I pay with my Visa.
They give my package to the friendly UPS guy (or whoever they use).

I'm glad I didn't go to business school.

Even *that* might be a loss for TLC.

Wanna bet it's worse in Europe than it is in the US? No bet from me. We're
more efficient than they are and we ain't all that efficent *here* at
unusual things.

People ought to be happy that the people on the phone are thinking out of
box enough to suggest coming here and looking for a UK factor to help!!!
That means that the phone staff are aware of their customers and how they do
stuff, at least a little.

People ought to be ecstatic that LD is arranging for some stock to be sent
over here, after how poorly those Fort Legoredos that they found did, it's a
wonder they'd bother.

Instead we get grumbling. And that makes ME grumpy.

When I am begging to throw my money at a company that is telling me, "sorry,
but that's not the way we do business" I think I have a legitimate reason
for being annoyed.

-Marc Nelson Jr.