 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2467
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 16:03:10 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
I largely agree with you and Suz about the intent of the summit. But I don't
have a problem with LEGO manufacturing interest in their product. I see
advertising (including posts on LUGNET, leaks, summits, etc.) as a very good
thing. It gives me something I want (information about a product that I am
very devoted to), and it gives LEGO something they want (interest in their
product which leads to sales). Obviously, I don't want to be lied to. I just
think more advertisement and information, especially to their hardcore fans,
is better than less, in that it leads to more sales (hopefully).

I doubt LD is responsible for the current rumors.  They probably haven't
told anyone outside of LEGO what they are planning.  They most certainly
told everyone else inside LEGO because that is required for production (of
anything) to occur.  It is much more likely that people who know people
who know people who work for LEGO are the source of most rumors, including
this one.  My experience is that LD does *not* leak any information, even
when it would probably benefit them by creating a buzz.  There are probably
very good reasons for keeping things under wraps as long as possible.
Just think about the poor S@H operators being distracted form actual sales
calls to say "no, we don't have THAT in stock yet".  I'm sure there are other
techinical or business reasons as well.  In any case, I'm sure LD will make
a public announcement as soon as they're ready.

KL