 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2421
2420  |  2422
Subject:
Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 16:31:35 GMT

And another thing...

Why is there so much secrecy surrounding any information coming from LEGO? It's
like dealing with the NSA.

Examples:

#1: The recent "Train Summit".

All of the particiapants were required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Why?
For that matter, why have a "summit" at all? Why not just let everybody know
what's going on, instead of releasing the information only to a select few and
then restricting them from telling anyone else?

#2: Jimmy Park and the July Surprise

Jimmy Park recently announced that Castle fans would have something cool
coming to them this summer, based on his discussions with someone at LEGO. But
he was worried about not letting too much information out for fear of being cut
off by LEGO (quote from http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=8771):

  It is about two months off
  and Lego does not want me to talk about it.  In fact, I don't think I should
  have mentioned to begin with, but I was so happy I really wanted to share
  with other Castle fans.  So please, please, please let's not bring it up
  again until either Lego announces it or I'm authorized to make an
  announcement on it.  I do not want to further jeparodize may relationship
  with Lego by leaking anything else.

He sounds like somebody ratting on the Mafia! Why is information being leaked
out to only one person? And why is he being made to feel fearful of telling
anyone else?

We are not dealing with nuclear secrets here, we are talking about toys! What
could possibly be so secret that you at LEGO can't tell us? And remember why we
want to know things like this: because we want to give you money! Isn't that a
good thing? After seeing the losses LEGO has racked up in the past few years,
you would think they want to make as much money as possible. And all this weird
secrecy only stands in the way of that goal.

So, please, LEGO Direct, tell us (all of us!) what's up with all the secrecy.

Thank you for your time.

-Marc Nelson Jr.