 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2579
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 20:15:57 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeff Thompson writes:
What do you mean by the 'abandoning of "System"'?

I am going from memory here, so bear with me (I will check my memory later
against the source I am referring to).

Earlier I had mentioned a book entitled "The Ultimate Lego Book" which was
published by DK apparently with TLC's full cooperation -- in fact, it might
almost be considered an official Lego product, or at least to have official
sanction from TLC, as S@H in the U.S. sells the book directly to consumers.
This book was the source of my earlier comment about the Pirate theme being
their best selling theme so far -- and I assume that this statement is true
because it is in this book.

In this book, Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen is said to have devised the whole idea
of "system" toys for Lego in the early 1980s.  The point appears to have
been to create a system of toys planned around themes -- hence Town, Space,
Castle, Pirates, etc.  By adding these kinds of themes and elements, TLC was
creating a means to create adventures/play within a broad range of societies
and cultures -- and the user could pretty much build with only their
imagination being the limit.

I don't have my copy of that book in front of me to confirm but this squares
100% with my memory of what it said as well. "system" is a great idea,
incompletely realised as of yet...

++Lar