 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2585
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 16:50:48 GMT

On Tue, 15 May 2001 20:39:42 GMT, Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu>
wrote:

I think it was GKC rather than KKK that came up with the idea of a
"system of play."  And I think it was part of the vision for LEGO way
before the early '80s.  Maybe even the '60s?  I think I recall that from
"The World of LEGO Toys."  Just the idea of each element belonging to a
"system" of interchangable elements, not necessarily the idea of
"themes" or "product lines" or whatever...although I think that idea
started manifesting itself in the mid-'70s and came to a boil around
'78-'80.

I agree that "system" needs to be more fully realized...especially today
when we have elements from some product lines that are only loosely
compatible with those of another (Bionicle and basic bricks, for
instance).  How does that fit in with the idea of "system?"

Well as I looked for this I found two places mentioning 'system' or
'system of play'.
First was page twelve where it is mentioned that GKC came up with
'system of play'  in or around 1954.
Second mention is on page seventeen, KKK was mentioned to have come up
with 'Kjelds Way' (well that is the header above this section of the
page anyway) which was the concept of turning 'system into System'
that in turn became the themes that we know and (sometimes) love
today.

Mike
--

All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)