 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2559
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 16:59:35 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Our main problem is does AFOL = the market, or a significant enough
percentage that Lego would consider our wishes 'right'?
Evidence so far - we are gradually winning them over.

Well, as a fan who would enjoy having an easier time of obtaining certain
elements I hope that the last part is true.  Of course, we have this
discussion all the time -- and if we are not having it at some point, we
cycle back to it eventually.

I note that this time around the person losing patience with TLC's inability
to get it's act together is Rose Regner.  I take it that she didn't get any
garage doors and is reasonably miffed. And it is reasonable -- have no
doubts on that count.

While TLC is losing money on junk that most of us could have told them was a
mistake in the first place (Legoland, and an endless stream of stupid
product lines), they are losing their core audience for bricks because they
have been trying to expand the line of products encompassed by their brand
name.  Why would they do that?  Well, Todd Lehman had a very plausible
argument the last time the subject came up and I have no reason to come up
with a better reason for TLC's strange behavior.

There are numerous other examples for what I am about to express, but here
are my favorite two contradictory facts about the way TLC does business:

1. The "Ult Lego Book" pg. 20 notes, "Eleven LEGO Pirates sets were launched
in 1989, with ships and forts; it became the most successful product line yet."

2. We all know that the Pirate line has been discontinued.

Is TLC allergic to making money or something?  Why would they discontinue
their "most successful product line yet"?  If anyone figures this part out,
we will then have the secret of TLC's recent lack of success...

...in the meanwhile, Lawrence, how do we gauge what TLC thinks is right when
apparently even making $$$ makes no difference to them when it comes to
killing a product line?  There's no evidence of anything but that their
decisions are made capriciously!

-- Hop-Frog (yes, the mad, the silly, the irrepressible...Hop-Frog)