 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2464
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 15:39:38 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tom Stangl writes:>> I guess I still don't get it.
I'm trying to think of an example of how LEGO
letting us know about something would hurt you. I mean, LEGO really doesn't
have any competition (MegaBloks can only compete on price), so it's not like
somebody would steal your idea and beat you to the market with it.

Then you're extremely naive. MegaBloks IS competition (as AFOLs have seen
other parents buy MB time and time again simply BECAUSE it is cheaper), and
if they see a mockup and then get a model to market faster (which they
probably could, since their molds aren't as accurate), TLG loses.

  I defy you to point to a single MegaBloks product (other than basic brick
design itself, of course) that so closely mirrors a LEGO product that we can
really identify a deliberate attempt at cloning.  I've bought MegaBloks for
about seven years, and I have yet to see such a product.  To assume now that
Ritvik is lying in wait to steal TLC's great ideas is simple paranoia.  If
Ritvik wanted to steal them, they would have done it by now, and LUGNET's
awareness or ignorance of TLC's forthcoming designs is largely irrelevant.

#28: Most marketing programs are based on the fear that the market might see
what's really going on inside the company.

Why? I hate to belabor this point, but we are not the enemy -- we are your
loving fans who want to give you our money.

Yet if they release info prematurely, their CORPORATE enemies can capitalize
on it.  And releasing it on a website, or even JUST in here is definitely
going to get it to their competitors.

  Is there any precedent for this among TLC's serious competitors?  I know
that one company (not Ritvik) produced a few knockoff sets in recent years,
but these were in direct and obvious violation of TLC's trademarks, not to
mention small and not-too-impressive sets at any rate.  If it takes a
clone-brand competitor to show TLC that the 6407 is a terrible set, I say
bring it on!  8^)
  Ritvik, Best-Lock, and Block-Men are the only real brick-based
alternatives to LEGO currently widely available, and none of these has
demonstrated an intent to steal TLC's ideas.

     Dave!