 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2430
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 20:08:05 GMT

"Marc Nelson Jr." wrote:
Why is there so much secrecy surrounding any information coming from LEGO?
It's like dealing with the NSA.

Examples:

#1: The recent "Train Summit".
[...]
#2: Jimmy Park and the July Surprise
[...]
So, please, LEGO Direct, tell us (all of us!) what's up with all the secrecy.

============= WARNING: highly synical material to follow ==============

Although LD should be the ones to supply the real answer, here's my theory:

Because it all sounds so cool and important that way. it's exciting. If the info
were truly sensitive, I doubt they'd send it into a pool of salivating
enthusiasts who converse frequently in a public forum. It's fan management. A
common practice in other enthusiast/collector communities. Part of LEGO Direct's
job.

Of course that's only a theory. And I still enjoy hearing about things to come,
just as much as any of us. Plus, just look at how much interesting conversation
we have around the secrecy! ;-)

But I've always refused to sign NDAs when meeting with TLC. [1] I could repeat
lots of stuff here on LUGNET, but I choose not to, partly because of my above
theory. I don't even reveal that there was a meeting. Yet my info tends to be
similar.

-Suz

[1] Because it could cripple LUGNETs development. If they told me about
something I coincidentally was planning for us, I'd be prevented from
implementing it. Sometimes I do a handshake, agreeing to be silent, which I
think is cool. Years ago, I did always sign NDAs for LEGO Futura. That was quite
different. I never even told Todd what I saw there.