 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2568
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 22:00:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:

Eh? You mean "tired" like bricks?  "Tired" like minifigures?  "Tired" like
accessory parts.  "Tired" like just about anything that doesn't
immediately gratify or amuse one and requires active user
participation and creativity...?!

That's a nice slip into quasi-rant mode, but it's rather nonsequitor.

Regardless, yes, I might wonder if bricks and minifigures are "tired"
(in terms of buyer interest) since LEGO continues to juniorize their
product (ie pitch them at younger and younger consumers) and they continue
to veer off into toys that have little or no resemblance to classic
bricks-and-figure sets (ie Bionicle).

What's the point of a "system" for building whatever one can imagine if one
cannot then get one's hands on the materials/elements TLC has already put
forth within existing themes as part of that "system" of play?  [snip]

What does this have to do with the reasons for cessation of
the Pirate line?  That was the topic of my post, and I don't find the
direction of your further discussion to be either pertinent to my
reply or very interesting.

I am not saying that I understand TLC's marketing strategies at all -- I am
actively arguing just the opposite.  But I am also denying that anyone else
understands what TLC does any better than do I [snip]

Very interesting, but from my initial exposure to you (your
"why would they kill their most successful line" post) perhaps I
can be forgiven for suspecting that your understanding of TLC's
marketing strategies might be ... less than omniscient.  In any event,
it's hubris to claim that no-one could have a better understanding
(of just about any topic) than yourself.  I would never make such a
claim.

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>  "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"