 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2475
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 16:46:22 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
What?
You mean like I wouldnt have dreamt of e-commerce?
Or they they would sell bulk bricks, which I could have done 40 years ago?
Or that they might sell trains, which I have always been able to do?
Or find some old accessory packs that I could have bought 2 years ago
without any fuss?
Or that Lego has all but disappeared from UK stores and now I have to buy it
at high price (without any competition) from LD, and pay shipping too?
Or that they would sell certain sets only via LD forcing me to pay shipping?

What is incredibly cool about that?

Nothing wrong with LD, but incredibly cool? Give us a break.

I can't speak for the UK experience, but here in the US the effects
have been incredibly cool.  Absolutely amazing actually.

Somewhere in my basement I have an unopened case of 5542's that I was
keeping just for the clear train glass.  Now I can buy train windows
*and* doors with clear train glass (in *gray* even).  As far as I've
been told, as recently as a year ago it was (unofficial?) policy that they
would NEVER sell prime parts like that individually.  Clearly LD took
our input and changed that.

Likewise, I can buy 5 tall windows and trans thin walls for office buildings
without spending a fortune on sets for a few pieces.  now I can spend the same
or more on just the parts I need.

I believe the best things are yet to come.

It's great to have a group with high internal visibility taking note of
our comments.  It's even better that they are able to have a small but
significant effect on product and service offerings.  Back in the day,
a few individual employees would read RTL.  Obviously nothing positive
resulted from that.

So, yes in fact all of us were dreaming of these things a few years ago
but I said we never would have dreamt of LEGO actually doing some of them.

KL