 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2571
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 23:59:56 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeff Thompson writes:
That's a nice slip into quasi-rant mode, but it's rather nonsequitor.

As quasi-rants tend to be...deal!

Regardless, yes, I might wonder if bricks and minifigures are "tired"
(in terms of buyer interest) since LEGO continues to juniorize their
product (ie pitch them at younger and younger consumers) and they continue
to veer off into toys that have little or no resemblance to classic
bricks-and-figure sets (ie Bionicle).

OMG, this same "tired" argument every time!  We already know they are taking
a bath on these kinds of sets, or at least the retailers are -- go check out
the RR stuff on sale at TRU right now.  How do I know this?  The prices at
which the stock sits on the shelves seems evidence enough to me. Often it
doesn't move even at 50% off...

In any event, it's hubris to claim that no-one could have a better >understanding (of just about any topic) than yourself.  I would never make >such a claim.

Great, you must be a riveting conversationalist! We are not discussing "just
about any topic", but rather a very specific one, and one in which I happen
to think myself knowledgeable at least to a significant degree.  And I DID
actually qualify my statement even so, or did you miss my metaphorical
reference?

And what I was actually saying is that your guesses are no better than mine,
and that from the outside many of of TLC's marketing strategies seem quite
mysterious, and even contradictory.  I allow that my logic is based on
speculation -- but so is yours!

I did start with: "Of course, we have this discussion all the time -- and if
we are not having it at some point, we cycle back to it eventually."  Why do
we have this conversation all the time?  Why do we cycle back to it?  The
reason is simply because none of us knows about any of these things for
certain.  We guess, and guess, and guess...

The points I stated as facts ARE facts.  What you make of them is up for
interpretation.  I conceived of the two facts as being absolutely related.

Feel free to disagree -- I give you my permission...

-- Hop-Frog