 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2465
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 15:44:18 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Tony Priestman writes:
Marc,

I'm getting bored now.

You're bored? I have to listen to the endless drumbeat of "like it or lump
it", "you should feel lucky LEGO sells us anything" talk.

   I think that's a bit of an absolutist portrayal, don't you?
   The point is that people have been trying to explain *why*
   it is the way it is, not trying to defend it or say it's
   necessarily the right way of doing something, given infinite
   time and money to restructure the system.

[big ol' snippination]
What makes me grumpy is the overly apologist (IMO) attitude that seems to be
so common around here, which leads to any suggestion that LEGO might
actually be doing something wrong being slapped down (especially if it comes
from a know-nothing, non-summit attending young whippersnapper like myself).

No-one is apologising. TLC isn't doing anything wrong. It's just not
doing what you want it to.

A company not satisfying its customers is doing something wrong.

   That's just the point.  LEGO *is* satisfying its customers,
   on the whole.  They're just not satisfying you in this one
   particular instance (and likely a minority of others).  Think
   of all the UK and European buyers, however, who would *never*
   have had a chance at these if the floodgates were wide open--
   then you'd be hearing European Legofans shouting about how
   the deep-pockets, wired-up Americans have been making off
   with "their" stock.  For every unsatisfied customer in a
   limited-stock offering, there's someone else who's delighted.

And hey, give us in the UK a break. In the past, the US has had all
sorts of stuff that we haven't, like the Forestmen's river crossing and
the original Space Shuttle set (1682), not to mention all those value
packs.

This is a great case in point. Were you happy about not being able to get
those sets? I bet there were people in Europe would have liked to get their
hands on the Space Shuttle, even if it meant paying more for shipping and
customs. This isn't a Europe vs. U.S. issue. I have no problem with the
costs being passed on to the consumer. People who want something shipped
across the Atlantic should expect to have to pay for it. There Ain't No Such
Thing As A Free Lunch.

   Well, I can agree there.  But in a sense, isn't this already
   being done, with the transoceanic AFOL community, and more
   cheaply than the implementation and operation costs of an
   entirely new level of operation at the point of shipping?

   It's more than slapping a label on and charging the shipping;
   it's knowing in advance how much to quote the customer, it's
   making sure all your Ts are crossed and Is are dotted (lowercase,
   that is) legally and internationally, and it's making sure your
   rear is covered with regard to liability and fraud.  Verifying
   those things takes time and money.  Who's to say it's not in
   the pipeline right now?  It might very well be, and it may yet
   take years to get all of the incorporation issues sorted out.
   What's easy for you or me--putting the label on the package
   and charging shipping--is automatically more difficult for a
   corporation, which has law and inertia working against making
   a turn.  Companies don't start from zero every time they begin
   a transaction.

Obviously, people wouldn't pay to have something shipped from another area
if they could get it from their own S@H, so this would only happen in the
case of highly desirable items like the Lost Service Packs. And if people
don't wan't to pay those shipping charges, that is fine. But the people who
are willing to pay them to get sets they really want should be able to do that.

   I think Larry's numbers weren't too far off the mark, IMHO.
   If you offered to European AFOLs at large to pay a $60 bounty
   to order you things, I think they'd come running--it worked
   for me (and would work now, except that my shipping window is
   now closed).  As with individuals, to companies it must be
   worth their while.  Why go to all the extra trouble when the
   fans in Europe are buying the sets at a nice, fast clip?

   I mean, if it were a point of making money, why wouldn't S@H
   just sell the Lost Service Packs on eBay and make nearly four
   times as much as they would through S@H?  It would make sense
   for them financially, but the system just isn't designed to
   do it.  We don't usually look at the inertia when it operates
   in our favour; nobody has asked the vital question "How could
   this many service packs from 1987-1993 possibly been forgotten
   or miscounted?  Don't they know how to keep inventory?"  It's
   inertia of the corporate sort, inefficiencies that have their
   own reasons for being and are slow to be corrected.

Sorry for boring anyone. I guess I didn't realize how unpopular questioning
official LEGO policy would be. I guess this horse can be pronounced dead.

   Dead and buried.  But I can't disagree with your basic point
   that it sucks and it should be addressed and *fixed* if possible.
   I don't think anyone's arguing that.  They're just trying to
   explain why it can't unfortunately be done right now.

   Ungrumpily,

   LFB