 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2451
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 09:58:47 GMT

Marc,

I'm getting bored now.

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Marc Nelson Jr. (<GCyJ93.Cuy@lugnet.com>) wrote at
08:51:03

I asked what that reason was (for not shipping outside territories) and got
the answer at the top from Tomas Clark, basically, "that's not the way we do
things", which is no answer at all as far as I'm concerned. I got a more
detailed answer from Jake McKee with basically the same point.

TLC doesn't have to tell you anything. Your question is like me asking
you how you clean your teeth. It's just a thing you do. As a corporate
entity, TLC does things the way it does because that's the way it does
it. They probably can't give all the reasons. But to change the way
things are done costs money, so it only happens if there's a compelling
reason. Using Larry's number, 1% of your market isn't compelling.

Maybe the answer to the duplication problem is to just have one big S@H
distribution center in Denmark that ships everywhere -- with 800 numbers in
all the countries to take calls and orders, but everything gets sent to you
from one place. As Jake said, they have the capacity to ship anywhere, but
for whatever reasons, they have everything duplicated several times.

As has also been pointed out in this thread, timeliness is one of the
critical factors in the fulfilment of orders. Can you imagine how much
it would cost to ship your little order from halfway round the world, so
that you get it at the same time as someone who lives just round the
corner? A little extreme, perhaps, but consistency of service is very
important to these people.

And then there's the issue of customs. Packages shipped out of the EU
from Denmark would have to go through customs at the receiving end,
which would add time and possibly cost to the transaction. This seems to
me to be the most compelling reason that there's a NA S@H and a EU S@H.

It's not like S@H delivers your package themselves. I just can't see how
putting the address on an order and charging more for shipping is that much
of a realignment of corporate practice. It doesn't make any more work for me
to send something to Ohio than Nebraska. I would think it would save them a
step to send something directly to me and make me pay for shipping than
sending it to Connecticut and paying employees to receive it, store it and
ship it to me from there. But what do I know?

See above re. costs & timings.

And I don't think that most people (that 99% again) would be happy with
the potentially massive shipping charges for their $10 order.

You might think that saving a step costs less, but it almost certainly
doesn't. E.g. compare the admin costs of getting one large container
full of LEGO through customs, with the cost of getting each set through
individually.

And remember that this will get passed on to the customer.

What makes me grumpy is the overly apologist (IMO) attitude that seems to be
so common around here, which leads to any suggestion that LEGO might
actually be doing something wrong being slapped down (especially if it comes
from a know-nothing, non-summit attending young whippersnapper like myself).

No-one is apologising. TLC isn't doing anything wrong. It's just not
doing what you want it to.

And hey, give us in the UK a break. In the past, the US has had all
sorts of stuff that we haven't, like the Forestmen's river crossing and
the original Space Shuttle set (1682), not to mention all those value
packs.

Now this really has come across as grumpy. No bad feelings involved, I
just don't think you've got much justification for your complaints.
--
Tony Priestman

(who has never even been in the same *country* as a LD summit)