 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2481
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 17:17:21 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.lego.direct, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message

   That's just the point.  LEGO *is* satisfying its customers,
   on the whole.

How can a company that is losing money be satisfying its customers?

Here's one way... give the stuff away for free. Instant money loser, very
happy customers. (did I hear an internet bubble popping in the • background?)

Or were you asking a serious question? There are thousands of ways to
satisfy customers and yet not make money. The trick is to satisfy • customers
AND make money doing it.

I think LD is the best hope of satisfying the customers we most care about
(us) and still make money for TLC as a whole. Are they there yet? No. Are
they trying hard? YES!!!!

The point is though, that Lego does none of those tricks.
It is a traditional, conservative company that tries to make profit in an
'old fashioned' way.
It isnt try to make a loss in return for shareholder value, or making loses
in the short term in the hope of becomming the dominant player in the long
term.

It is making a loss because it is not doing things well. Pure and simple.

Lego does not get much of my money (as much as it would if it make the right
stuff), nor others I suspect, because it doesnt make things I want to buy.
That is not satisfying its customers
I cannot believe that Lego market share (of toys in general, construction
toys in particular) has not declined considerably in the UK at least in
recent years
You only have to look at the shelf space they have vacated in any toy shop.
I can point to my local toy shops that once had yards of their stuff and now
have NONE. Thats NONE. (but they do have mega blocks, blockmen, Kinex)
How can they be satisfying customers if people dont buy it and stores dont
stock it?
I look at my kids and their friends - right in prime lego target age
groups - and they have NO interest in lego what so ever (try as I might)

Perhaps more accurately I should say they are not satisfying their target
market.

end of rant

regards
lawrence