 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2567
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 21:42:18 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeff Thompson writes:
There's nothing contradictory about that.  What may have been a bestselling
line in 1989 may have been losing container-shiploads by the mid-nineties. • <snip>
It's just that what seems like a new and novel thing at the time of >introduction can seem tired when it gets rehashed year after year.

Eh? You mean "tired" like bricks?  "Tired" like minifigures?  "Tired" like
accessory parts.  "Tired" like just about anything that doesn't immediately
gratify or amuse one and requires active user participation and creativity...?!

...why does one buy Lego at all?

What's the point of a "system" for building whatever one can imagine if one
cannot then get one's hands on the materials/elements TLC has already put
forth within existing themes as part of that "system" of play?

Fine.  Maybe the idea of "system" was/is just hype.  But if it's not hype,
shouldn't it mean access to the sets and elements comprising the existing
"system"? Some sort of coherent cycling of elements should absolutely have
been part of that "system" plan!

I am not saying that I understand TLC's marketing strategies at all -- I am
actively arguing just the opposite.  But I am also denying that anyone else
understands what TLC does any better than do I, especially from outside the
walls of "the castle" (if you happen to like Kafkaesque imagery...).

-- Hop-Frog